What is this called?

Righteous

1 minute ago, grandpa said:

I believe you have the internal mold of a clam.  Is this Cretaceous age?

Yes sir it is. Another Alabama fossil

• I found this Informative 1

+1 for bivalve steinkern.

It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt

-Mark Twain

So, OK - If I were to find this fossil in Texas, and it were in the lower Cretaceous (Trinity, Glen Rose, Albian) [AND a "side-view" were available for more certain comparison], I'd believe I'd found a Cucullaea blancoensis  The above clam appears likely also a member of the Cucullaeidae (Stewart, 1930) Family, but whether the genus and/or species also appears in Alabama, I do not know.

• I found this Informative 4

3 hours ago, Righteous said:

Yes sir it is. Another Alabama fossil

Where’s about in Bama? I’m up North in the Far East of the Far West county of Lauderdale! If you’re ever up let me know for some reason most of my friends don’t like digging in the mud and dirt!  I have a couple of buddies that do if you and your fam ever want to meet and hunt!

4 hours ago, Pbassham said:

Where’s about in Bama? I’m up North in the Far East of the Far West county of Lauderdale! If you’re ever up let me know for some reason most of my friends don’t like digging in the mud and dirt!  I have a couple of buddies that do if you and your fam ever want to meet and hunt!

I’m on Logan Martin lake east of Bham

19 minutes ago, matgerke said:

I'm pretty sure this is a Cucullaea gigantea steinkern.  We have them up here in Maryland, too.  Nice find!

They are very wild looking fossils, almost looks Alien like  

3 hours ago, Al Dente said:

It looks like Cucullaea gigantea from the Paleocene

That's really interesting.  The C. gigantea of the Maryland Paleocene (66 - 23 mya) looks just like the C. blancoensis of the Texas Lower Cretaceous (115 - 105 mya) as pictured in Texas Cretaceous Bivalves 2, p. 74, published by the Houston Gem and Mineral Society (a great publication).  -  Quite a nice run with no obvious change in design!  And it may have extended longer in either direction for all I know.

Oh, and BTW, @Righteous, your side views match the Cucullaea sp. of both from what I can tell.  Thanks for providing them.

So, I think we can assume that this is a Cucullaea sp. clam for now.  The only thing left is to determine the age of the clam and find the species specific to that formation. 

Are you sure that it is Cretaceous?  I notice that your current location east of Birmingham shows as Mississippian Age, undifferentiated.  I'm not saying you found it near Logan Martin Lake, just saying that that area is Miss. Fm.  If you know just where you found it and if it was in Alabama, you can look at the link below to confirm the age.  Back to you - :popcorn:

[BTW, now I really want to add a C. gigantea to my collection for a comparison/contrast/study/display.  Thanks for your query that has educated me about the paleocene species!]

1044fig2.jpeg?Expires=1580667568&Signatu

Ok I got back in touch with the man that found it. 
Been awhile so he couldn’t remember exact place but said it was found in North Alabama and was of Mississippian age. Found in limestone. 
sorry for earlier info. This man has been giving me a lot of things and I need to start taking a pen and paper to write it down since I have no memory 

So, I checked further on Cucullaea's first appearance and it was in the late Devonian.  Further the genus is extant, so that's a run of around 365 my and counting. 

But, see this reference:  https://paleobiodb.org/classic/basicTaxonInfo?taxon_no=59945

This data shows the Paleocene and Cretaceous examples being found in both Alabama and Texas.  (OK, I have an opportunity to find my own Paleocene specimen right here in "little ol' Texas".)

But also note that no specimens are listed as being found in the gap between the Devonian and the Triassic from anywhere. (?)

So, I still assume that what you have is Cucullaea, but I think you have incorrect info on age and location, OR this is quite a find, first of its kind!  :shakehead:

I'm afraid that's all I've got.  :zzzzscratchchin: :headscratch::DOH:

56 minutes ago, grandpa said:

So, I checked further on Cucullaea's first appearance and it was in the late Devonian.  Further the genus is extant, so that's a run of around 365 my and counting. 

But, see this reference:  https://paleobiodb.org/classic/basicTaxonInfo?taxon_no=59945

This data shows the Paleocene and Cretaceous examples being found in both Alabama and Texas.  (OK, I have an opportunity to find my own Paleocene specimen right here in "little ol' Texas".)

But also note that no specimens are listed as being found in the gap between the Devonian and the Triassic from anywhere. (?)

So, I still assume that what you have is Cucullaea, but I think you have incorrect info on age and location, OR this is quite a find, first of its kind!  :shakehead:

I'm afraid that's all I've got.  :zzzzscratchchin: :headscratch::DOH:

I’m betting north alabama is right just not where in the north. Are you looking for one like this?

For what it's worth, I have several (very large) specimens of Cucullaea gigantea that I personally collected here in the Aquia Formation of Maryland.