is "bowl like" structure part of fenestellan bryzoan anatomy?

Ramona

I keep finding rocks with these bowl-like structures on them, so I took one to examine more closely.  I cleaned it well with my vinegar/water solution and then started removing as much soft matrix as I could with a dental pick.  These bowl like structures have a fairly thick edge to them.  Once I took macro photos of them, I could see that they do seem to be comprised of fenestellan bryzoan fossils, although I believe I do see some crinoids, too (not sure if I included those in the photos).  I have been learning about the fenestellan bryzoan anatomy, but I am not sure where/if this fits in.  I will post photos of the "bowls" and the surrounding areas, where I have removed some matrix.  You may need to zoom in to see the tiny details.  Thanks for any information!  (Located in Huntsville, AL)

Ramona

IMG_9886-1low.jpg

10 hours ago, Ramona said:

A side shot of the rock, where I have removed some of the matrix.  Zoom in to see the tiny details. 

There are tiny crinoid bits in the rock. I suspect it could be described as crinoidal limestone.

There do seem to be some slight indications within the bowl shapes that may have formed on some sort of organic scaffolding. They show as slightly darker elements with a slightly different texture. It's difficult to tell just what they may be, but I doubt it was a fenestrate. It could easily be more like the rind of a concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/2/2020 at 4:54 AM, Rockwood said:

There are tiny crinoid bits in the rock. I suspect it could be described as crinoidal limestone.

There do seem to be some slight indications within the bowl shapes that may have formed on some sort of organic scaffolding. They show as slightly darker elements with a slightly different texture. It's difficult to tell just what they may be, but I doubt it was a fenestrate. It could easily be more like the rind of a concretion.

Thank you!  I have gone off and learned some about concretions now.  Fascinating!