Megalania tooth?

fossil_sea_urchin

Hi everyone I've been looking for a Megalania tooth for a while and I saw this and a few similar looking ones for sale, does it look like megalania to you, measures 2.1 cm long? 

mg20.jpg

Yep it has the characteristics of Megalania teeth including the recurved shape and the wrinkles at the base of the tooth. Hard to tell from one picture but also looks like it has serrations. I am quite confident of the id. Looks like a beautiful tooth!

• I found this Informative 3

I should also add this picture of Megalania teeth from a scientific paper for future reference. Pictures C & D belong to Megalania Priscus.

images?q=tbn%3AANd9GcSHJihO1Z_4Rt_HqhaVDxmmx-rga6iqMe1sQ-v899yN1z8j7q-9

• I found this Informative 2
  • Enjoyed 1

8 minutes ago, fossil_sea_urchin said:

@msantix Thanks for your help! I just looked at the fossil again and I think because it's in Australia It can't be exported, is that right?

The laws here are a bit tricky, but my understanding is that exportation of Australian fossils are allowed under an export permit. It basically might come down to how significant the fossil is. See this page here for more information......

https://www.arts.gov.au/what-we-do/cultural-heritage/movable-cultural-heritage/exporting-cultural-property-australia/fossils-and-meteorites

However i believe it is the sellers responsibility to follow the laws. If you buy the fossil and the seller isn't allowed to ship it outside of Australia, you should be entitled to a refund. It is worth contacting the seller before buying the fossil just to make sure. Hope this helps!

• I found this Informative 4

Yes, last year I received a parcel of fossils from TFF member @DanKurek from Australia and they arrived with a certficate allowing the export of each specimen included. 

Lovely fossils too! :)

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

Export of Australian fossils are allowed under certain guidelines. Common fossils are allowed out of the country permanently after they have been assesed by a qualified official (Usually a museum curator) who will then issue a letter of clearence. Rarer fossils and those which are of scientific importance require an export permit and I believe export permits are only granted to other museums who wish to study important Australian fossils.

• I found this Informative 6