dhiggi

This is like nothing I have seen before in the Whitby coast area, there are a few belemnites on the rock also, and lots of scallop type shells in the area. What could it be?

0262CF05-084C-482B-8C06-A0C630B5114C.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Nice finds. A two-pound hammer and a cold chisel might bring a few more specimens home -- if it's legal.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

12 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Nice finds. A two-pound hammer and a cold chisel might bring a few more specimens home -- if it's legal.

Anything not in the cliffs or bedrock is fine (much of the coast is SSSI), but boulders are OK.

• I found this Informative 1

Tarquin

1 hour ago, TqB said:

Anything not in the cliffs or bedrock is fine (much of the coast is SSSI), but boulders are OK.

I just worked on the assumption that that was the law anywhere. Does that mean if an area isn’t SSSI then cliffs and bedrock are fair game?

2 minutes ago, dhiggi said:

I just worked on the assumption that that was the law anywhere. Does that mean if an area isn’t SSSI then cliffs and bedrock are fair game?

Generally - though cliffs in England are usually someone else's property so you need landowner permission (apart from being dangerous). The zone between high and low tide is usually technically Crown property and collecting is OK. Rules are different in Scotland - beaches are more often private property for a start. And some SSSIs allow no collecting at all

• I found this Informative 2

Tarquin