unidentified items from big brook, NJ

ruoyang

hi guys, here are few findings from my very first trips to big brook, nj. I have little knowledge about fossil but picked them up simply because I thought they are all tooth-shaped. It was great experience, a lot of fun, and I would appreciate if someone can help me to identufy the findings are fossil or normal stones. thanks!

IMG_20200202_075936.jpg

IMG_20200202_075917.jpg

IMG_20200202_075857.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

Sounds like you had fun! 

These photos are rather dark. Can you try again? The white background might be skewing the camera's focus and light sensitivity.

Everything in your pics are iron concretions the Cretaceous streams are full of them and have fooled many a newbie fossilhunter. And probably a few more experienced as well. You will figure them out the more you go.

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

Agree with the above.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Welcome to the forum!!

As you can see you've come to the right place to ask questions. I'm glad to see you came with an open mind. Too often folks come here looking for confirmation on their preconceived ideas of what they've found and don't accept experienced opinions on what they really have. Your question on these items shows that you are curious and willing to learn. :) At the top of the TFF home page there is a Search box. Do a search there for the quoted phrase "big brook" and you'll find that there are lots of posts about this place. You can absorb a lot of good information and see photos of other people's finds from there. It's a great way of working your way up the learning curve.

Mother nature has a way of planting a lot of "fakers" out there and our brains are really well adapted at pattern matching and recognizing shapes that match our idea of well known objects (like teeth). I suspect a larger number of people discover The Fossil Forum after finding something resembling a tooth (and of course "dinosaur eggs" which invariably turn out to be concretions). You've proven you have the skills to spot items matching your search image, now you just have to refine that search image so you can find some cool fossils.

Don't hesitate to show us more items from Big Brook. It's one of the best ways of learning. ;)

Cheers.

-Ken

P.S.: Oh, and by the way, it is best to take photos of your finds outside in brighter light and on a darker background (to reduce contrast). The sun is much better at lighting than any indoor light and well-lit and focused images are best to understand what you've found. It's often tricky to make identifications from just photos so the best photos will get you the best replies. ;)

• I found this Informative 4