My prep station

hadrosauridae

OK, since someone asked me about the prep station I am finalizing, I took took some pics today.  To begin, I am working with the available space I have in my shed.  I know its tight, but it fits and I'm not cramped.  The only downside is that I will have to wear headphones while working.  I put a lot of time, research and planning to make the most of the parts I have.  For anyone thinking about taking this step, plan out EVERYTHING and price it all out, then probably add another 10% margin.  I went the absolute cut-rate version of a prep station and I still have almost $1000 invested.  The blast cabinet is from harbor freight.  It was a pain putting together, but for the price I couldnt pass it up.  If I went with a table-top model or built my own, I'd still have to build another bench and I probably would have spent more $$$$ in the long run.  One of the last details yet to finish, is that I'm running the vacuum exhaust outside to prevent the chance of filling the air with micro dust.  I have a weatherproof outlet cover it will feed through so that it can keep critters out  when not in use.

20200202_124444.thumb.jpg.8cb40ad1f137014ca2c09d69f85c8c99.jpg

The compressor puts outs out 4GPM, but my tools only use about 1GPM so the volume is plenty adequate.  I made the choice to runthe air through PEX piping after looking at all the options.  The compressor feeds into the airline with a drop-leg for condensation.

20200202_124459.thumb.jpg.f74247f62e6965ec10ca2becc89918d9.jpg

For the micro-blaster, I decided to go with a Vaniman Problast model.  You can see a second condensation drop-leg running behind it.

20200202_124514.thumb.jpg.a1f47f7eb9ea7b98269e2da95fa2fc1d.jpg

I didnt even install the included blast cabinet light, I read a ton reviews about how useless it was.  I installed 2 LED flood lights to give plenty of illumination.

20200202_124534.thumb.jpg.0e48c14d0be49179273035aab33cca92.jpg

I also ran a pigtail air line with a blowgun for clearing off my specimen, or view-glass, or lights, etc.  I could also put on an air-scribe and switch between scribe and blaster without stopping.

20200202_124550.thumb.jpg.4fba593585c023f3c26c6aea0ce1d95a.jpg

Using a cyclone dust management system.  I dont have this mounted yet, its just mocked up at the moment.  I plan to finish that tomorrow.  I ran a vacuum line "Y" to the work bench as well.  You can also see the switch which powers the box lights as well as a pigtail plug so I can connect the vacuum and turn it all on or off with a single switch.

20200202_124616.thumb.jpg.dadc6a69bd2cf6dc65c61c5d37728b15.jpg

Dry air is very important while using scribes and blasters.  This is my drier setup.  Anything that gets past the 2 drop-legs, goes into 2 filters (particulate and water/oil) and then a desiccant drier.  All that ends in a manifold for distribution.

20200202_124524.thumb.jpg.acb483cd6aee4b1c74b7cd917b18d505.jpg

Adjustable vacuum hose on the work bench with a blast gate so I can select or close which ever vacuum line I need.  I don't have a blast gate on the box yet.  I'm going to have to fabricate a couple connections to make it work.

20200202_125014.thumb.jpg.5ebaa29bc73f5ed6c704db33e70897ff.jpg

Lastly is the work bench.  Again, please excuse that its still filled with construction materials.  I built the bench based on the existing remnants from the old shed I cannibalized to make this one.  Annnnyway, I gave myself plenty of overhead, below, and bench top storage space.  My flex-shaft dremil is ready, and I have an air line for scribe work. I plan on mounting it to a bracket to make it easier to connect to.  Lastly is a lighted, magnifier for working on the finer details. 

20200202_124753.thumb.jpg.6c795ff56094355a638b18b6daf65657.jpg

A few more things left yet are sandbags for fragile items needing support (I have the sandbags, just need some clean sand), a cushioned mat for working at the blast cabinet, and a new work stool.  

Edited by hadrosauridae
me spel rong.
  • I found this Informative 15

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

7 hours ago, hadrosauridae said:

To begin, I am working with the available space I have in my shed.  I know its tight, but it fits and I'm not cramped.  The only downside is that I will have to wear headphones while working.

Look like a great setup to me! Your research and planning paid off. You seem to have maximized the usage of your small space. 

I think you would be wearing ear protection no matter where you setup. Even if your compressor was located outside, the tools themselves generate enough noise to damage hearing with prolonged use. 

• I found this Informative 2

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

2 hours ago, TyBoy said:

Great setup.  Whose the manufacturer of your air dessicant dryer and filters

Not really sure.  I think its a china product that gets badged by numerous cheap sellers.  This on is from Amazon, by a company called "ALL Tool Depot".

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

This is an outstanding setup/work shop!  Looks like you're almost ready to go.  Have you tried the compressor yet?  Mine actually vibrates the shop (not on a concrete floor) so much that some of the items on the shelves try to "walk off" over time, be watchful of this.  I have an oil less compressor and the noise is deafening when running so I have to wear hearing protection as well.  In the warmer months it's located outside.  Good luck and enjoy.

• I found this Informative 1

You're probably going to find out like I did that the HF blast cabinet is not optimal for micro-abrasive use. The angled glass makes positioning a microscope almost impossible and the clunky rubber gloves are inconvenient. I knocked together a large (30x36) cabinet with a flat top for use with a microscope for around $15 (using scrap wood where I could).

LOL....  I did the same thing!  Got tired of dropping or breaking fossils when trying to move them around and replacing the glass or Plexiglas.  I moved my cleaning bench in front of a window and use a duel (2-6" fans) unit to remove the dust without accidently sucking up smaller pieces I might need later when finishing the fossil.  I open the window on the other side of my shop about 1" for cross ventilation.   I bought some heavy duty aluminum cookie trays for storage of the fossil when not working.  Every piece of the fossil is placed on the trays, matrix is placed in baggies and labeled as to the location it was removed (just in case I missed a small piece) until the specimen is finished.  I find this type of organization method works best for me. 

45 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

This is an outstanding setup/work shop!  Looks like you're almost ready to go.  Have you tried the compressor yet?  Mine actually vibrates the shop (not on a concrete floor) so much that some of the items on the shelves try to "walk off" over time, be watchful of this.  I have an oil less compressor and the noise is deafening when running so I have to wear hearing protection as well.  In the warmer months it's located outside.  Good luck and enjoy.

Yes, I've done some short test runs.  The vibrations werent bad once you get off the plywood panel it sits on.  I bought some rub floor mat for it to sit on.  It helps but there is still a little vibration but not too bad.  I had thought about portability, so almost everything is connected with quick connects.  I could wheel this out the front door and just run a line back to the input point if I needed.  I did go with an oil lubed compressor because they are supposed to be quieter.

1 hour ago, Ptychodus04 said:

You're probably going to find out like I did that the HF blast cabinet is not optimal for micro-abrasive use. The angled glass makes positioning a microscope almost impossible and the clunky rubber gloves are inconvenient. I knocked together a large (30x36) cabinet with a flat top for use with a microscope for around $15 (using scrap wood where I could).

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best choice.  If I had a lot of lumber laying around I would have built my own but the need to go buy everything would have meant a lot more time and probably not any saved money (I know my woodworking skills, lol).  I got this cabinet on a huge HF sale right after Christmas.  Too good to not go this route, at least to start.  If I make the move later to a microscope, I will have outgrown this and I'll give it my work to use in their shop.  Considering the high cost of a microscope (even a used one), the cost of building a custom cabinet wont matter at that point.

Edit - I've been thinking a lot about those gloves.  I figured I'd give them a go since they came with the cabinet.  If I end up hating them, I was thinking of replacing them with some bits of tire inner-tube. That way its still got some dust blow-by control while working.

PS - I love your prepping vids.  I've been following you on IG for a while.

Great, but I would still keep an eye out for things that might walk off your shelves.  Oil or oil less, they're all loud in a 10 x 12 enclosed wood building - to me anyway - I've had both. I also like the plastic containers with lids (like you have) for storage of completed fossils.  I use bubble wrap and label all containers so I don't have to search through containers looking for a specific item.  This reduces the chances of dropping one.  The best specimens are displayed.

28 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

LOL....  I did the same thing!  Got tired of dropping or breaking fossils when trying to move them around and replacing the glass or Plexiglas.  I moved my cleaning bench in front of a window and use a duel (2-6" fans) unit to remove the dust without accidently sucking up smaller pieces I might need later when finishing the fossil.  I open the window on the other side of my shop about 1" for cross ventilation.   I bought some heavy duty aluminum cookie trays for storage of the fossil when not working.  Every piece of the fossil is placed on the trays, matrix is placed in baggies and labeled as to the location it was removed (just in case I missed a small piece) until the specimen is finished.  I find this type of organization method works best for me. 

Thats a good point about moving pieces around. I really like the baking tray idea!  

I could only wish to be this organized!  Very nice set up my friend.  What actually caught my attention were the 2 drop legs.  Never even heard of them but totally understood the instant i saw the picture of them.  Im gunna hafta do this!  

RB

44 minutes ago, hadrosauridae said:

Yeah, I knew it wasn't the best choice.  If I had a lot of lumber laying around I would have built my own but the need to go buy everything would have meant a lot more time and probably not any saved money (I know my woodworking skills, lol).  I got this cabinet on a huge HF sale right after Christmas.  Too good to not go this route, at least to start.  If I make the move later to a microscope, I will have outgrown this and I'll give it my work to use in their shop.  Considering the high cost of a microscope (even a used one), the cost of building a custom cabinet wont matter at that point.

Edit - I've been thinking a lot about those gloves.  I figured I'd give them a go since they came with the cabinet.  If I end up hating them, I was thinking of replacing them with some bits of tire inner-tube. That way its still got some dust blow-by control while working.

PS - I love your prepping vids.  I've been following you on IG for a while.

You'll find that you need a microscope pretty quickly I think. Amscope has some pretty good deals for stereo scopes when you're ready to bite the bullet. I run a 2hp dust collector in my lab and the only air inlet to my box is the arm holes and what leaks in around the unsealed access door. I have no issues with abrasives pushing past that suction, even when I'm operating at 80 PSI. The main problem is the abrasive on your skin. I'm thinking about installing some sweatshirt sleeves just to keep it off my arms. I should probably use latex/nitrile gloves but that's not very sustainable with the time I spend in that cabinet. There's an engineering opportunity here...

I'm glad you enjoy the videos. Sometimes, the troglodyte in me comes out and I see no value in them at all. Then, I post them on Twitter and they get the most responses of anything else I do there.

• I found this Informative 3

1 minute ago, RJB said:

I could only wish to be this organized!  Very nice set up my friend.  What actually caught my attention were the 2 drop legs.  Never even heard of them but totally understood the instant i saw the picture of them.  Im gunna hafta do this!  

RB

We get some serious year round humidity down here. The other day, it was so humid in my lab that my Paraloid was clouding when it dried on specimens!

1 minute ago, Ptychodus04 said:

We get some serious year round humidity down here. The other day, it was so humid in my lab that my Paraloid was clouding when it dried on specimens!

I would not like that!   If I could afford to keep my garage warm all winter I would not have too much of a condensation problem.  About $400 per month.  So it gets cold in there.  :(

RB

26 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Get ready, another big slug of Pacific moisture is coming up from Mexico.  You might even see snow out of this unless it shifts up north to my area.

30 minutes ago, RJB said:

RB

Yeah, I had not ever considered drop legs until I started researching shop air systems.  Then I thought about how much rusty water gets drained out of the compressors at work every week.  The "experts" say you need at least 50 foot of air line before a drop leg so the air has time to cool and condense out the humidity, but I'm working with the space available.  The smaller air flows of my system should give the air enough time to cool (I hope, fingers crossed).  I dont think the pictures show the air path.  It comes into an initial "T", goes up to a 90, then over to another "T", with the second drop-leg.  The goes up and through another 90 over to the drier system.  The only thing I have second thoughts about is that the line ends at the pigtail into the drier.  Part my brain is screaming that there should be a third drop-leg below that, the other part of my brain is saying "youve got more than enough already, stop over-thinking".

3 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Nice set up. :)

And here's me sat with my pin-vice and loupe. ;)

Thanks, but theres nothing wrong with the classic hand method.  I've used it for over 40 years.

Oh, there is one other thing you might want to do right from the start - documentation.  I assign a number to every fossil now and include it on (everything) the containers or 2x3 identification card when displayed.  I do this (now) because I have several fossils of the same species in different types of preservation/completeness and it makes it easier to keep track of each.  I put the small pieces in baggies and once in a while they get separated when trying to use it as a "donor" piece on another fossil.  It makes it easier to re-associate.  It's also very helpful when establishing and retrieving data on an inventory spreadsheet.  Keeping your records organized and identified with the number you assign is a big plus.  Wish I had started doing this 35 years ago, it would have been so much easier to keep track of everything.  I know it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with your shop setup but in later years you'll kick yourself for not doing it in the beginning.  The last thing I would recommend is taking "prepping photos" which are before, during and after pictures of the fossil I prepped.  Food for thought.

14 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Oh, there is one other thing you might want to do right from the start - documentation.  I assign a number to every fossil now and include it on (everything) the containers or 2x3 identification card when displayed.  I do this (now) because I have several fossils of the same species in different types of preservation/completeness and it makes it easier to keep track of each.  I put the small pieces in baggies and once in a while they get separated when trying to use it as a "donor" piece on another fossil.  It makes it easier to re-associate.  It's also very helpful when establishing and retrieving data on an inventory spreadsheet.  Keeping your records organized and identified with the number you assign is a big plus.  Wish I had started doing this 35 years ago, it would have been so much easier to keep track of everything.  I know it doesn't seem like it has anything to do with your shop setup but in later years you'll kick yourself for not doing it in the beginning.  The last thing I would recommend is taking "prepping photos" which are before, during and after pictures of the fossil I prepped.  Food for thought.

All of those are excellent ideas!  Most of my fossils have specimen numbers from time of collection, so I definitely need to keep that documented.  I need to re-read how to properly apply numbers to a fossil after prep and conserving.  The pre/during/post pics is a great idea to keep up with the specimen.