Heirloom Fossils Identification Help

Megalodoodle

These have been passed down from parent to child for generations. Anyway we can no longer remember what these were originally identified as. Possible plants? I see rings and some spots where it looks like a branch would’ve grown.

BCB3A9B2-FAAA-40B7-9392-394F23627FC5.jpeg.c6a16b9ce7e66da7269dcb0a709226a8.jpeg

These are sections of crinoid stems/stalks. 

unnamed.jpg

Image from HERE.

• I found this Informative 4

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

3 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

Thoughts on how to open it?

If you mean get it loose, turn it over and dip just the cover in a shallow pot of boiling water for a few seconds. The expansion usually does the trick.

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

How does one seal it afterward?

I'm not sure it really needs to be sealed. They are usually pretty stable under normal conditions.

It screws on and off like a jelly or pickle jar. There's no need for an air- or water-tight seal. The fossils won't decompose or fall apart. It wouldn't be a bad idea to get them into individual display boxes, like the plastic ones with a clear top, because when they rub against each other every time you move them the friction wears them a bit and they will eventually lose all detail.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

21 hours ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

The jar has been sealed for a long time. Thoughts on how to open it?

Another way is to turn it over and give the bottom a few sharp palm strikes, like one would a glass ketchup bottle.

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

4 hours ago, Kane said:

Another way is to turn it over and give the bottom a few sharp palm strikes, like one would a glass ketchup bottle.

Wouldn’t this smash the jar?

11 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

Wouldn’t this smash the jar?

Unless you’re the Incredible Hulk, I don’t think so. Don’t hurt yourself though, if it’s a really old brittle jar use your discretion 

8 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

We think it has rusted shut.

Try tapping the lid with a butter knife to create grip groves?

Or gently grab the lid with channel lock pliers to give yourself some torque leverage. Hold the glass jar with gloves just in case.

• I found this Informative 1

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

9 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Or gently grab the lid with channel lock pliers to give yourself some torque leverage. Hold the glass jar with gloves just in case.

Probably a safer idea

I would leave it as it is, as you said, its a heirloom and somehow interesting in that way.

All the methods involving shaking will make the fossils chafe. As they will have many times over 60 years, on the other hand .

Just my opinion.

Best Regards.

Try to learn something about everything and everything about something

Thomas Henry Huxley

should simply unscrew with rubber gloved hands or a rubber sheet made for unscrewing jars. It's a baby food jar I take it. I agree with Mahnut though. Looks nice as is.

3 hours ago, Plax said:

It's a baby food jar I take it.

In the sixties they probably put more iron in a baby food jar lid than in the wheels of a Chevy today. ;)

How about this: I will take the best specimens out and put them in a proper case, the rest I will leave in the jar when i’m done cleaning it out.

8 hours ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

How about this: I will take the best specimens out and put them in a proper case, the rest I will leave in the jar when i’m done cleaning it out.

Sounds like a great idea :-)