What might this little biddy shark tooth be?

Ludwigia

I found this little guy amongst the usual Carcharias and Mitsukurina teeth at my often frequented spot in the Miocene Burdigalian (Obere Meeresmolasse Formation) in southwestern Germany and am a bit stumped, so I'm hoping that someone here can help me out with the id. The longest edge is 6mm.

4a.thumb.jpg.aa27d48a0f1b78bf0bf3b86265692475.jpg

4b.thumb.jpg.32996619cc6ffc5841c8443febfa6861.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Greetings from the Lake of Constance. Roger

http://www.steinkern.de/

13 minutes ago, gigantoraptor said:

Based on those serrations

I have looked at this tooth and can't see serrations. Roger, does it have them?

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

I have looked at this tooth and can't see serrations. Roger, does it have them?

You can see serrations toward the root and a hint of serrations further on the crown.

image.png

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, gigantoraptor said:

Based on those serrations I think a partial Galeocerdo sp.

I was thinking along those lines, but the serrations are so minimal with nothing obvious on the cutting edges.

38 minutes ago, Plax said:

might this be a broken off side cusp of something? This is just a wild guess not saying it's so.

That's a possibility, but it must have been a pretty big tooth if that's the case. And I can't find a form to fit the idea.

It is Carcharhinus sp.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

15 minutes ago, Ludwigia said:

I was wondering about that too. How can you tell?

The general shape of Carcharhinus matches this tooth better than the other similar looking ones like tigers and hemis

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Tigers do not have serrations outside of the curve...unless I’m wrong...this is what I was thinking absent the root and with damage

1E6892C4-3B8D-4964-85DC-E0E8FB51EC7E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

44 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

The general shape of Carcharhinus matches this tooth better than the other similar looking ones like tigers and hemis

13 minutes ago, cck said:

But Charcharhinus fits too

Thanks guys. I think that's as close as we're going to get.

Yes, a partial upper tooth of Carcharhinus.  A few species have coarser serrations toward the base of the crown with finer ones toward the tip.  The way that specimen wore down looks like that general form.

2 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

It is Carcharhinus sp.

I agree. Most likely some form of silky.

2 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

I was wondering about that too. How can you tell?

It is all in the root here, and how the blade goes into the root. The root has a certain match. It was fortunate that I came upon this post while looking through some Carcharhinids, and was able to match the root immediately after reading The Jersey Devil's post. Funny how things work out like that.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

3 hours ago, cck said:

Tigers do not have serrations outside of the curve...unless I’m wrong...this is what I was thinking absent the root and with damage

1E6892C4-3B8D-4964-85DC-E0E8FB51EC7E.jpeg

tiger crowns are fully serrated on all curves 

Yes and no. These are the serrations I was referring to... on the inside of the curve .. pronounced.. very minimal on the outside. I was just trying to rule out tiger for the poster... I’m no authority on anything

02C86694-6B50-4437-86C9-F678C6AC41FB.jpeg

7 hours ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I agree. Most likely some form of silky.

It is all in the root here, and how the blade goes into the root. The root has a certain match. It was fortunate that I came upon this post while looking through some Carcharhinids, and was able to match the root immediately after reading The Jersey Devil's post. Funny how things work out like that.

I know what you mean. If a certain paleontologist hadn't been looking at a particular lobster genus as I sent him a photo of the one I found, then I might not have had a species named after me.