BFLADY

I have recently read on Fossil Forum that there are excellent results when using fine mesh iron powder as an abrasive.

I have used dolomite and sodium bicarbonate on trilobites with a Swam-blaster with not good results.

Where can I obtain 325 mesh (40 microns) IRON POWDER for prepping trilobites?

Thank you for your anticipated assistance,

BFLADY

There is no good supplier of iron powder in small quantities in Canada. Iron Powder on its own will be quite brutal on a Swamblaster. be prepared for parts to wear out.. Personally I do not use it as dolomite, sodium bicarb and if needed (rarely) trace amounts of aluminum oxide or silicon carbide work like a charm. Most prfessional level preppers in north america get the best results with 40 micron dolomite and sub 40 micron sodium bicarbonate.

Topic moved to FOSSIL PREPARATION.

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Hey @Malcolmt do you have a magic abrasive that will cut through hard matrix without destroying the soft fossils underneath? :default_rofl:

I have this scenario with a couple of green river fish I'm working on. The layer right on top of the fish is significantly harder than the fish itself. I'm having to scribe through it without punching through the scales! Man is it slow going. I'm getting through a little more than a square centimeter per hour... :DOH:

Chris, I use dolomite for almost everything. if it will not cut a matrix on its own I will mix in a very small amount of 600 mesh silicon carbide (5 to 10 %) and that will generally do the trick even on the hardest of hard (think some of the Moroccan stuff). If you use a very flat angle, almost parallel to the fossil you will transfer the least energy to the fossil. If the fossil is just way to fragile then I will wick in some very dilute polyvinyl acetate solution in acetone (2 to 3%) let it dry and they continue, it is tedious but the PVA (vinac) tends to layer between the matrix and the fossil and acts to give it some protection and additional structure.At the end of the prep sodium bicarb at a low PSI  (10 to 15) will remove the PVA or you can leave it on ..

• I found this Informative 1

28 minutes ago, Malcolmt said:

Chris, I use dolomite for almost everything. if it will not cut a matrix on its own I will mix in a very small amount of 600 mesh silicon carbide (5 to 10 %) and that will generally do the trick even on the hardest of hard (think some of the Moroccan stuff). If you use a very flat angle, almost parallel to the fossil you will transfer the least energy to the fossil. If the fossil is just way to fragile then I will wick in some very dilute polyvinyl acetate solution in acetone (2 to 3%) let it dry and they continue, it is tedious but the PVA (vinac) tends to layer between the matrix and the fossil and acts to give it some protection and additional structure.At the end of the prep sodium bicarb at a low PSI  (10 to 15) will remove the PVA or you can leave it on ..

Thanks for the tip. I'll try that out to see if it helps. I'm spending a pile of time on some of these fish that they don't deserve.

On 2/5/2020 at 2:00 PM, Ptychodus04 said:

Paleo Tools is a Crystal Mark distributor. You can get iron powder from them.

When I contacted Paleo Tools they only carried iron powder at 80 microns which I will try using a lower psi.

One person from Fossil Forum used 40 micron iron powder for prepping.

Thanks, BFLADY