Fossil ID help?

Barlows

This is a section of a Baculite. 
A straight shelled ammonite. 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

This is a section of a Baculite. 
A straight shelled ammonite. 

Really, thank you for the help ID'ing! Is it ok to keep submitting fossils that I'm not sure about? This site seems like a dream come true for me. 

3 minutes ago, Barlows said:

Is it ok to keep submitting fossils that I'm not sure about?

Not only is it ok, it is encouraged!;)

And welcome to the forum. You are now trapped!:D

Steve

9 minutes ago, JamieLynn said:

oooohh...is that druzy quartz on it?? That's lovely. 

It's really amazing to try and understand/comprehend the age & beauty of this Earth's treasures! It's much prettier than in my pics. I just got a galaxy 10+ & the pics seem a little blurry. I'll have to figure out what resolution to use for posting stuff. I'm just so grateful for everyone's help.

6 minutes ago, Bullsnake said:

Not only is it ok, it is encouraged!;)

And welcome to the forum. You are now trapped!:D

Rock on!!! Or maybe fossil on?

2 hours ago, Barlows said:

It's really amazing to try and understand/comprehend the age & beauty of this Earth's treasures! It's much prettier than in my pics. I just got a galaxy 10+ & the pics seem a little blurry. I'll have to figure out what resolution to use for posting stuff. I'm just so grateful for everyone's help.

Taking photos in natural daylight, and not getting too close are key to getting better photos. 

Steadying your camera, either with books or a tripod can help keep shake to a minimum.

I use a free app called Magnifier that works very well. It keeps the fossil in focus better. 

Cropping your photo to include just the fossil helps with seeing if the photo is clear enough. 

Keep on posting. That is why we are here. :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

One thing to remember when using a smartphone camera is to wipe the pocket crud and skin oil off the lens glass before shooting. Otherwise your pictures will always be blurry and look as if you took the shot in a fog. If the glass has enough scratches it will have the same effect. If you have both problems, well . . . . . 

With the Galaxy 10+ you have 16 megapixel capability, so quality photos should be the norm, not the exception. Set to macro and keep phone and subject absolutely still and don't get so close that it's out of focus.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!