Dense dark & shiny

Becky Benfer

Was hoping it was dinosaur scat but then I noticed it was shiny in some places. Once I cleaned it I saw layering and I think “schist” making it shiny! It’s oddly very heavy . Found in a river in north central Ohio area. I saw one pic , somewhat similar that was said to be a plant. Any ideas? Thank you!

E1D05DFD-AF22-42AA-BF86-1CDD1F9334C1.jpeg

1 hour ago, Becky Benfer said:

Ok thank you for sharing your knowledge.  Do you know what makes it feel sooo heavy?

That would be gravity. :heartylaugh:But, seriously -- any of the elements that are of higher density or mineral compounds of those elements, like iron. So Google "periodic table of elements" and look at the elements that have an atomic number around iron or higher like lead, or even higher like gold, except the odds of it being gold are slim. Compounds of the more common elements from iron through tungsten are good possibilities.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

That’s great I’ll look at that for sure!  So hard to distinguish what is and is not “something of value”  when you have nothing to compare it to other than google pics .  Appreciate any and all suggestions of what to look for. Thanks again!  

13 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

dinosaur scat

unfortunately, dinosaur containing rock does not exist in Ohio. North central Ohio is most likely Devonian or Mississippian.

Ohio Geology

13 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

I’m still looking

I wish you well!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Look forward to seeing a Tarantabuckeye rex

I just read about the 300 million year erosion that took place............but you know , there’s always a chance, right?  :default_rofl:

8 hours ago, Becky Benfer said:

You mean it doesn’t exist until it’s found, right? :trex: :yay-smiley-1:   I’m still looking...........

Actually, no. It's just not there. There is no bedrock in Ohio that was deposited during the time when dinosaurs lived. There is simply no bedrock there from 245 to 65 million years old. Really. Ohio was high ground for that period of time. Google a copy of "geological map of Ohio" and check it out. That's what makes this forum great. You can learn something new every day. Usually several things, and that includes everyone.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Amazing! Isn’t that just my luck? I chose to live in a state where there’s NOOOO chance of ever finding a dinosaur fossil. :default_faint:

But there are so many other wonderful opportunities available in Ohio. Devonian sea life to your west, Ordovician sea life to your south west and ferns and amphibians to your east. Your children, in a few years, will hopefully contract the fossil fever!! 

Mike

• I found this Informative 1