Showing my fossils to a rocket scientist

dinosaur man

Today I was invited to show off some of my fossils at my moms and aunts work, a long term care home, where one of the residents there wanted to see some of my fossils and minerals and talk. He is a retired rocket scientist from Germany he moved to Canada after World War Two where in Germany he was a famous rocket scientist. He was very impressed when seeing part of my collection even though he didn’t know much about fossils or minerals he was amazed by them and wanted me to come visit him again. Just wanted to share this :D

• I found this Informative 11

Good deal. It is really fun to talk to scientists from different disciplines. We took our fossils to a retirement home and one of the residents was a Geologist who worked for a NASA subcontractor in the 70's. She studied moon rocks. She pulled a slide out of her purse and it was moon dust ! We got to check a little piece of the moon and she got to check out dinosaur fossils.

• I found this Informative 5

Nice story. :)

He was a rocket scientist?  Wow, but it's hardly rocket science is it? Oh. 

• I found this Informative 4

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

That’s a really nice story and you did really captivated a rocket scientist. I also think it is so important to the older folks that a youngster  like yourself has time to share with them.   :dinothumb::dinothumb:

• I found this Informative 3

I'm sure he really appreciated you taking the time to do that for him, kudos.....  I occasionally take some of mine to the local high school to supplement their discussion topics.  Never thought of a senior home, great idea.

1 hour ago, Bobby Rico said:

That’s a really nice story and you did really captivated a rocket scientist. I also think it is so important to the older folks that a youngster  like yourself has time to share with them.   :dinothumb::dinothumb:

I totally agree Bobby! Impressing a scientist is very nice, but I think the act of visiting with and older person in a long term care home is the more important take away here. Good job @dinosaur man!

• I found this Informative 6

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Thanks for sharing. Your story is a great reminder that our hobby can be a tool that helps us connect with others in new and interesting ways. 

• digit changed the title to Showing my fossils to a rocket scientist

I am very proud of you Dino Dude! It says alot about your character, for you to do something like that. Most people try to avoid places like that. Keep up the good work!:thumbsu:Also it is nice to see you getting very involved in the forum and participating in topics and discussions. For a Youth member you are doing well.:)

Sincerly Dave

• I found this Informative 4

Dipleurawhisperer5.jpg          MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png

I like Trilo-butts and I cannot lie.

6 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I totally agree Bobby! Impressing a scientist is very nice, but I think the act of visiting with and older person in a long term care home is the more important take away here. Good job @dinosaur man!

Excellent point. The educational opportunities for the elderly are quite limited and that is the best part. 

• I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Excellent point. The educational opportunities for the elderly are quite limited and that is the best part. 

True. Education for anyone, young or old, is a great thing.

However, my comment was aimed more towards the loneliness and depression that can come with living in a long term care facility. I’m not saying this particular gentleman is, but I have found that many people who reside in such places miss being able to get out and do things on their own (I know I would...). They tend to crave interaction from something/someone outside of the walls of the facility, no matter what it is. Just taking the time to sit and visit with them really brightens their day.

IMHO @dinosaur man’s willingness to visit and socialize with the man was the better part of his original post. Hopefully he returns regularly. He might make a few friends along the way and improve someone’s quality of life in their twilight years. 

Who knows... He could even educate a few people, and will undoubtedly get an education himself from the older, more experienced, folks. ;) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)