Two Sharktooth Hill unknown micros

ScottM

Hello, 

While sorting through my Sharktooth Hill micro matrix I came across some very distinctive teeth that I'm hoping someone can identify. Image 1 shows three very similar teeth in different orientations. They differ from most others I've been seeing in that they ha ve 3 roots and three "tiers" - best shown in the orientation of the specimen on the far left (root, base, top).

The other teeth in images 2 and 3 remind me of Squalus and I suspect that's what they are. But they seem to be missing a part (the exact same part) and don't appear to me to be obviously broken. Is there anything else they could be?

Thank you very much!

image 1.jpg

image 2.jpg

image 3.jpg

Picture one are teeth of rays. I don’t know the specifics though. Perhaps @caldiggercould shed some light on the subject.

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

I will have to refer to @MarcoSr who studies these little guys.

I don't recall finding Squalus ( Dog Fish ) being broken like this.  

The first image shows three lateral teeth of Myliobatis, or at least a myliobatid.  They are the little teeth on either side of the row of medial teeth.  When the ray dies, these teeth tend to lose their connections to the medial teeth, but occasionally, you find a tooth plate with a few medial teeth and a lateral still connected.  Rarely, you'll find a specimen like the one shown below.  It has several medial teeth with several lateral teeth still attached.  You can see the outline of the biting surface of the lateral teeth better on the left side.

I think the other teeth could be broken Squalus teeth.  In Squalus teeth the root is highly vascularized so it doesn't often stay intact.  It holds together if fine sediment gets into the tiny passages or if it is well-mineralized to the point that you can see some tiny openings on the root surface.  

sth_mylio1a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

10 hours ago, caldigger said:

I will have to refer to @MarcoSr who studies these little guys.

I don't recall finding Squalus ( Dog Fish ) being broken like this.  

I also agree with siteseer’s IDs.

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

Thank you all very much! That picture of the tooth plate was especially helpful and your expertise and helpfulness much appreciated!