Fossil?

Becky Benfer

To be honest it looks like sandstone with worn out geodes in it. In the second picture the shape of the middle hole does remind me of an oyster or some similar shell. Where did you find this? Location is everything when trying to identify possible worn out fossils like this.

Sometimes this look represents fossils that didn't quite make the grade. Once confirmed by an identifiable find the look can act as clue as to what rocks you should inspect. I don't think this one warrants indicator status just yet though. 

I believe I found it in the same area I found most others. North central Ohio area -but not sure if it was in a river or field. 

47 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

How do you determine if it’s just eroded rock or actually a fossil? What do I need to look at?

Based on the assumption, that you are examining a steinkern or an impression ("Abdruck") of a fossil (no shell etc. of the fossil preserved):

Look for symmetry and repeating patterns (unless its an impression of a rudist...:heartylaugh: (Sorry! :D)).

For example, this is a freshly exposed, very poor, 15 mm long impression/external cast of a gastropod. But you can still easily recognize a repeating pattern at the left part. The shell has been dissolved naturally, not fallen out.

Tobisegg_Pirenellaabdruck_Laenge15mm_02042017_kompr.jpg.d086bc4d011877cf203a833df7a2c7c2.jpg

Franz Bernhard

17 minutes ago, Becky Benfer said:

What do I need to look at?

4 minutes ago, FranzBernhard said:

Look for symmetry and repeating patterns

You may need to look more, rather than harder. Let it find you. Then you will come to know it.

• I found this Informative 3

5 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

Let it find you. Then you will come to know it.

Exactly! Its all about pattern recognition.

Franz Bernhard

• I found this Informative 1

2 hours ago, FranzBernhard said:

Exactly! Its all about pattern recognition.

Franz Bernhard

Yes.

Just be aware of pareidolia.

52 minutes ago, Pippa said:

Just be aware of pareidolia.

That´s the dark (or funny) side...;)

Franz Bernhard

And sometimes there's just not enough detail to make the call one way or the other. Nature strives for perfection; rarely achieves it.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Be aware of pareidolia as has been mentioned. But remember not all fossils are easy to recognize. Some of my best fossils have been just partially exposed. Iding  without exposing more of the fossil was impossible. So keep those suspicious rocks IN CASE!!! 

Mike