Would like to trade minerals for fossils

Notidanodon

hi guys , i have some minerals that i no longer collect bit of a long shot but i was wondering if maybe someone would be interested,

i can give closeups on request i am interested in most fossil fauna other than bivalves and brachiopods.

20200209_165416.thumb.png.cd5897574bd3e21ec3dd61772bc35b9a.png

• I found this Informative 2

Your title made it sound like you were asking the other way around (ie. asking for shells and minerals)!

I've got a shell and mineral collection as well, but have been focusing on fossils for the last several years/decades, and I have no more room for more of anything, but I'm curious if you have all the location data as well as the names for your shells (and the minerals for that matter)? I was not as diligent about keeping track of this info with mine in the early days, so many of them only have a name, if that.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

Your title made it sound like you were asking the other way around (ie. asking for shells and minerals)!

I've got a shell and mineral collection as well, but have been focusing on fossils for the last several years/decades, and I have no more room for more of anything, but I'm curious if you have all the location data as well as the names for your shells (and the minerals for that matter)? I was not as diligent about keeping track of this info with mine in the early days, so many of them only have a name, if that.

I have a similar situation, I collected these when I was younger so very little info but some names here and ther and some vague locations

6 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I collected these when I was younger 

Seriously, how long ago could that have really been?!  :heartylaugh: 

I would imagine if you got most of these in shops they likely didn't provide you with much in the way of providence or exacting names to begin with.

On 2/11/2020 at 8:12 AM, caldigger said:

Seriously, how long ago could that have really been?!  :heartylaugh: 

I would imagine if you got most of these in shops they likely didn't provide you with much in the way of providence or exacting names to begin with.

you would be surrised, i collected thes all 3-10 years ago they were mostly gifts from friends and family as obviously i didnt have enough money to but them but i collected quite a number of those whilst on holiday, a family friend owned a house in barbados so we stayed there sometimes, if only i had known about fossils then , the whole island is a fossil reef! but you are right i have info on some but not many i would say around 55% known?

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Would like to trade shells and minerals for fossils

@will stevenson

I have removed the shells from this trade offer. 

Minerals are tangetially related to fossils, and will be allowed, but modern shells really have no place here on the Forum for trades. 

Thanks. 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Would like to trade minerals for fossils
1 hour ago, Fossildude19 said:

@will stevenson

I have removed the shells from this trade offer. 

Minerals are tangetially related to fossils, and will be allowed, but shells really have no place here on the Forum for trades. 

Thanks. 

Well you seem to have removed everything including minerals  :unsure: also shells can be used as reference as they are often very comparable and therefore relevant in my opinion

49 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

Well you seem to have removed everything including minerals  :unsure: also shells can be used as reference as they are often very comparable and therefore relevant in my opinion

Your opinion, however, does not coincide with the Fossil Forum's opinion. :( 

They are not allowed to be traded here.   If we allow modern shells, then it slides into jewelry, and so on.  We do not wish for that to happen here. 

Please take close up photos of the minerals you wish to trade, and post them here. 

Thanks for understanding and cooperating. 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

Your opinion, however, does not coincide with the Fossil Forum's opinion. :( 

They are not allowed to be traded here.   If we allow modern shells, then it slides into jewelry, and so on.  We do not wish for that to happen here. 

Please take close up photos of the minerals you wish to trade, and post them here. 

Thanks for understanding and cooperating. 

Ok sorry for my tone I was just slightly irritated, I will try to stick to forum guidelines, it was just an idea as I know some people like modern shells as well, you often see them in displays;)

Nothing stopping you from including them as add ons in trades between the fossil/ mineral exchanges,  if you are just needing to clear space on your shelves.

Just so long as they don't violate those prohibited items discussed earlier. :)

You may also want to get on a seashell forum to do exchanges, you might have a better audience and higher interest for them.  Perhaps some members on one may have fossil items they would be willing to exchange for some nicer modern versions. :thumbsu:

2 minutes ago, caldigger said:

Nothing stopping you from including them as add ons in trades between the fossil/ mineral exchanges,  if you are just needing to clear space on your shelves.

Just so long as they don't violate those prohibited items discussed earlier. :)

You may also want to get on a seashell forum to do exchanges, you might have a better audience and higher interest for them.  Perhaps some members on one may have fossil items they would be willing to exchange for some nicer modern versions. :thumbsu:

i tried shell forums when younger but the ones i tried didnt really work, do you have any suggestions, i do include the minerals and fossils as add ons:D

The subject of trade discussions via PM is not of concern to us. 

We do not wish to have modern shells posted on the open Forum. ;) 

Being the Fossil Forum, we'd like to keep it that way. :) 

I can see Will's point - shells are as tangentially related to fossils as minerals are, as biology is as important as geology is to the study of fossils, and most fossils were at one time shells. So I'm not sure why they are excluded while minerals are OK.

When you say "The Fossil Forum's opinion", was the general membership ever canvassed on this question or was it just one or a few mods' opinion some years in the past? I don't remember it ever being discussed. I don't see why shell specimens couldn't be included, and shell jewelry excluded, just as mineral specimens are included but jewelry/lapidary is excluded. If you want to keep it a Fossil Forum, you'll need to exclude minerals and rocks.

5 hours ago, Wrangellian said:

I can see Will's point - shells are as tangentially related to fossils as minerals are, as biology is as important as geology is to the study of fossils, and most fossils were at one time shells. So I'm not sure why they are excluded while minerals are OK.

When you say "The Fossil Forum's opinion", was the general membership ever canvassed on this question or was it just one or a few mods' opinion some years in the past? I don't remember it ever being discussed. I don't see why shell specimens couldn't be included, and shell jewelry excluded, just as mineral specimens are included but jewelry/lapidary is excluded. If you want to keep it a Fossil Forum, you'll need to exclude minerals and rocks.

No, Eric, ... the membership was never "canvassed"  about this.

The owner, mods, and admins came up with the rules.  Sometimes, they evolve over time. This is one that won't.

We have to draw a line, somewhere. Where is that line?  Right now, it is fossils and minerals.  

We accommodate minerals because they are related by geology. They are rocks that are found while out fossil hunting. 

Yes, the same could be said for shells, I know. But, where does the line get drawn? 

Should  we draw the line at taxidermy fish and mammals? Because, you know, people could look at those for morphological studies. 

How about modern skeletons? Skeleton models? What about dinosaur toys? Fossil jewelry? Fossil art? 

These are all tangentially related as well. If we allow one, then what about all the others?

I think everyone can see Will's point. However, the owner and management team have made these decisions. 

Again, no one is outlawing  the trade of shells via PM.

If you want to trade shells via PM, feel free. We just don't want the open boards cluttered with non fossil related material. 

There are Shell Forums for shells.  ;)  

• I found this Informative 6

Besides the points Tim raised, it is important to note (as was mentioned in some now-hidden posts) that trade of any sort in modern shells is subject to complex and ever-changing CITES laws.  If we were to allow sales/trading of modern shells on the open boards, the Forum administrators and moderators would be obligated to ensure nothing is posted that contravened those laws.  This is beyond our expertise, and too much of a burden to impose on a volunteer staff.  We have enough to do as it is.  There are many forums that specialize in modern shells, and they have the expertise to keep an eye on the legal aspects.

Don

• I found this Informative 9

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

Besides the points Tim raised, it is important to note (as was mentioned in some now-hidden posts) that trade of any sort in modern shells is subject to complex and ever-changing CITES laws.  If we were to allow sales/trading of modern shells on the open boards, the Forum administrators and moderators would be obligated to ensure nothing is posted that contravened those laws.  This is beyond our expertise, and too much of a burden to impose on a volunteer staff.  We have enough to do as it is.  There are many forums that specialize in modern shells, and they have the expertise to keep an eye on the legal aspects.

Don

This is actually a very good point, because I believe (if I remember correctly) that one of the shells Will was offering was a gorgeous Lobatus gigas, and here's some info from Wikipedia about that species:

International trade in the Caribbean queen conch is regulated under the Convention on International Trade in Endangered Species of Wild Fauna and Flora (CITES) agreement, in which it is listed as Strombus gigas.[10] This species is not endangered in the Caribbean as a whole, but is commercially threatened in numerous areas, largely due to extreme overfishing.

So you may wanna make sure not to get into too much trouble for that. I'm unaware of what the exact laws are, but knowing that shells like this can potentially cause legal trouble it is indeed better to just not go into that topic.

So while I'm personally of the opinion that shells are related closely to fossils (having dealt with shell 'sub-fossils' a lot, it's hard to draw a line sometimes!) I completely understand the forum's decision to decide not to deal with them in a commercial manner whatsoever, as the legal part of it is indeed complex, and just simpler not to get involved in. 

Max Derème

"I feel an echo of the lightning each time I find a fossil. [...] That is why I am a hunter: to feel that bolt of lightning every day."

- Mary Anning >< Remarkable Creatures, Tracy Chevalier

Instagram: @world_of_fossils

4 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

No, Eric, ... the membership was never "canvassed"  about this.

The owner, mods, and admins came up with the rules.  Sometimes, they evolve over time. This is one that won't.

We have to draw a line, somewhere. Where is that line?  Right now, it is fossils and minerals.  

We accommodate minerals because they are related by geology. They are rocks that are found while out fossil hunting. 

Yes, the same could be said for shells, I know. But, where does the line get drawn? 

Should  we draw the line at taxidermy fish and mammals? Because, you know, people could look at those for morphological studies. 

How about modern skeletons? Skeleton models? What about dinosaur toys? Fossil jewelry? Fossil art? 

These are all tangentially related as well. If we allow one, then what about all the others?

I think everyone can see Will's point. However, the owner and management team have made these decisions. 

Again, no one is outlawing  the trade of shells via PM.

If you want to trade shells via PM, feel free. We just don't want the open boards cluttered with non fossil related material. 

There are Shell Forums for shells.  ;)  

I understand you point though I have seen many a taxidermied shark for sale on this forum. I will

not include shells in this offer 

also that particular forum has never worked for me as it says I’m on a proxy network

2 hours ago, Max-fossils said:

This is actually a very good point, because I believe (if I remember correctly) that one of the shells Will was offering was a gorgeous Lobatus gigas, and here's some info from Wikipedia about that species:

So you may wanna make sure not to get into too much trouble for that. I'm unaware of what the exact laws are, but knowing that shells like this can potentially cause legal trouble it is indeed better to just not go into that topic.

So while I'm personally of the opinion that shells are related closely to fossils (having dealt with shell 'sub-fossils' a lot, it's hard to draw a line sometimes!) I completely understand the forum's decision to decide not to deal with them in a commercial manner whatsoever, as the legal part of it is indeed complex, and just simpler not to get involved in. 

I understand this and will only include what I know is not cites though I believe the lobatus gigas was collected prior to those laws but do not have papers to prove it 

14 minutes ago, will stevenson said:

... though I have seen many a taxidermied shark for sale on this forum.

I don't think so.

Jaws yes.

Preserved sharks, no. 

20 minutes ago, Fossildude19 said:

I don't think so.

Jaws yes.

Preserved sharks, no. 

I meant jaws:dinosmile:

They still are not shells. ;) 

We will leave this as a reminder that we don't sell or trade modern shells here. 

Will can start a new mineral trade topic. 

• I found this Informative 3

• JohnJ locked this topic
17 hours ago, Fossildude19 said:

The issues are not up for debate.  What is allowed on the Trade forum is decided by the Staff and the site owner.  This topic is locked.

• I found this Informative 2

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ