Coprolite faker?? New Jersey

frankh8147

Hello!

From the Cretaceous of Monmouth County New Jersey, I found what looks like a big, steaming...well, you know!

The thing is though, it does not resemble any spiral coprilite I've ever seen so I'm wondering if it's from something else or just a faker! Thanks!

20200209_091008.jpg

20200209_095340.jpg

20200209_095511.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

Maybe it was something that dropped out of an animal when a big scary shark swam by it. :o

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

It’s not a coprolite because the “spiral” pattern is irregular. I think it’s unfortunately a concretion.

• I found this Informative 1

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Very interesting. It's hard to say for sure, as with so many coprolites, but I actually think this might be one. With tooth marks. I have seen coprolites with mark's like this before. I want @GeschWhat to weigh in here.

On 2/9/2020 at 10:38 AM, The Jersey Devil said:

It’s not a coprolite because the “spiral” pattern is irregular. I think it’s unfortunately a concretion.

Not all coprolite-makers in the brooks were fish so spirals would not be expected for all of them.

@Carl

I know not all coprolite makers were fish. Problem is is that if it’s something like reptilian you wouldn’t expect any spiral marks, and if it’s fish you should have an even pattern. I’m curious as to how a coprolite would get tooth marks in it and what makes you think those are tooth marks in the above item.

“You must take your opponent into a deep dark forest where 2+2=5, and the path leading out is only wide enough for one.” ― Mikhail Tal

10 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

I’m curious as to how a coprolite would get tooth marks in it

I think the usual way. Disgusting, but relatively common I think. 

• I found this Informative 3

I'm not sure it's a faker...

Please follow the experts ideas on this one.

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

Only way to find out for sure is to crack it open.

16 hours ago, The Jersey Devil said:

@Carl

I know not all coprolite makers were fish. Problem is is that if it’s something like reptilian you wouldn’t expect any spiral marks, and if it’s fish you should have an even pattern. I’m curious as to how a coprolite would get tooth marks in it and what makes you think those are tooth marks in the above item.

Many animals are coprophagous and these resemble tooth marks I have seen claimed for coprolites elsewhere.

• I found this Informative 3

Very interesting piece, great conversation starter! It really looks like it should be poop. Poop that has been gnawed by teeth. But those  dimples on the top in images 2 and 4 are confusing. If I saw it labelled as poop in a reputable museum I probably wouldn't question it.

I'm in the cololith / coprolite camp. I wouldn't break it as most coprolites don't have anything discernible in them.

1 hour ago, Plax said:

I'm in the cololith / coprolite camp. I wouldn't break it as most coprolites don't have anything discernible in them.

can you imagine if coprolites were like modern owl pellets?  

"There is no shortage of fossils. There is only a shortage of paleontologists to study them." - Larry Martin

4 hours ago, Carl said:

Many animals are coprophagous and these resemble tooth marks I have seen claimed for coprolites elsewhere.

But if a large animal with teeth bit the coprolite, how is it supposed to stay intact?

4 hours ago, Plax said:

Many Chondrichthyan coprolites will have the spiral pattern visible on the inside

Edited by The Jersey Devil

34 minutes ago, The Jersey Devil said:

But if a large animal with teeth bit the coprolite, how is it supposed to stay intact?

It doesn't have to be a large animal or an animal with teeth (should've said "bite marks" above), i.e., crustacean. It could've been nibbled.

1 hour ago, Carl said:

It doesn't have to be a large animal or an animal with teeth (should've said "bite marks" above), i.e., crustacean. It could've been nibbled.

Maybe it was literally tasted and judged not 'sweet' enough ? An evolutionary pressure to not waste effort trying to digest something that just doesn't do the job. 

1 hour ago, Carl said:

Hmm I think that would make sense then. 

@frankh8147 does it feel sticky when you touch it?

1 hour ago, The Jersey Devil said:

Hmm I think that would make sense then. 

@frankh8147 does it feel sticky when you touch it?

It kind of does..I'll admit, it looks so 'fresh' that I've been leaving it around parts of my house for my fiance' to find (we have two dogs and two cats :)) ..I'll stop doing that for now! 

Here is a picture in different lighting.

20200211_170412.jpg

3 hours ago, frankh8147 said:

It kind of does..I'll admit, it looks so 'fresh' that I've been leaving it around parts of my house for my fiance' to find (we have two dogs and two cats :)) ..I'll stop doing that for now! 

Here is a picture in different lighting.

20200211_170412.jpg

Most coprolites (that are actually fossilized) have a sticky touch to them, at least the nj ones. I think it’s part of the lick test, but if you press your finger into it it has the same effect.