Identify structure in a Glycemeris bivalve

fossilnut

This shell was found a few years ago in a pile at Bradenton Beach to be used for paving the parking lot. There were postings on TFF about this. I have wondered about the interesting structure covering part of a muscle scar. There are numerous items of interest on this shell half. Not sure if all will be visible in the following pictures. Above the opposite muscle scar, There are 10 rounded slight raised white deposits that are solid and not layered. But at the inside edge of that scar is the beginning of a layer that also has 4 more rounded slightly raised white deposits. Across the bottom 1/2 inch width of the shell are elongated raised white bumps that are aligned with vertical striations on the outside of the shell and on the inside align with the raised "teeth" on the shell's lip. (Sorry I do not remember or know the right term)

At the center of the inside of the shell is a single corralite. Below the unidentified structure near the edge are 2 rounded black raised forms that have very small opening. possibly these are bryozoans?

The outside of the shell has are what I believe are bristle worm borings above the unidentified structure. Nearby is a small partch of bryozoa.

The corralite and 2 dark rounded bryozoans? occurred post mortem. Not sure when the growth of the unidentified structure occurred. Likely post mortem since it partially obscures the valve scar. I wonded initially if it was an unusually loose formation of a blister pearl? The 10 raised white objects above the opposite muscle scar and the elongated vertical bumps, I assume occurred while the animal was alive.

Appreciate all thoughts and comments on this interesting fossil. Thanks

DSCN6227.JPG

Nice strange example....Looks to me like some Entobia trace/possible aragonitic deposits/repairs by the clam in response to Cliona like sponge borings...I think somewhere I have an example of some smaller pustule like bumps inside a Mercenaria shell as a result of the sponge attack. Very cool!

Mike probably knows for sure.  @MikeR

Regards, Chris 

• I found this Informative 1