Sign in to follow this  
T. nepaeolicus

Estwing Paleo Pick Useful?

T. nepaeolicus

Is the Estwing brand paleo pick useful or is it a waste of money?

jpc

nothing but the best...

Pterygotus

I’ve heard that Estwing is the market leader but cannot guarantee that myself as I have never used their products. I would just go with the geological hammer.

erose

Totally depends on where you collect. But if you do find yourself needing a geologic hammer they are just about indestructible and will last a lifetime. 

T. nepaeolicus

I forgot to mention I already own a geologists hammer, the Estwing brand is quality!

T. nepaeolicus

I just don’t want to waste $50 on something that my geologists hammer could accomplish just as easily.

caldigger
1 hour ago, Troodon said:

I have one of these and have not used it much.  Find it too light for the type of collecting I'm doing. 

It looks like it may be OK for digging into light soils, but anything hard like the hardpan ground I have to deal with, I think it would just bounce off without much penetration.

It all goes back to what you have to work in.

FossilDAWG

I use mine all the time and it is great.

Don

siteseer
On 2/11/2020 at 6:50 PM, FossilNerd said:

I think the OP is referring specifically to the Estwing Geo/Paleo Pick, and wondering if anyone has used it. Unfortunately I have not, and cannot attest to its usefulness in fossil hunting.

Like the others, I can tell you their hammers(and axes) are great, but I’ve got nothing on the Paleo Pick.

Photo taken from, and more info regarding the product, here:

https://www.estwing.com/collections/geological/products/geo-paleo-pick

E844D5AE-FC80-45CD-AB4A-78460D7CD20B.thumb.jpeg.ce2436b2bb9357a4c2a7c482986575d3.jpeg

I've never had a use for a pick like that one.  Is it to extend your reach chopping something out of the side of a hill?

Othewise, Estwings last forever.  I have one with the sharp tip and one with the chisel tip.  I found one out in the Kettleman Hills.  It had a black, somewhat eroded grip but it was still good.  The only time I've had to replace one is because I left it in the field somewhere.

Allosaurus

I really like it. As others have said, its use depends on the type of soil and rock you are in. I'll always use my smaller rock hammers first and foremost, but when it comes to digging down for material (that isn't too hard) this pick has worked very well for me. If the rock is super hard, I'll use something with a bit more mass. 

Scylla

If you get one, please let us know how useful it is for your collecting situation. I have debated getting one of these myself

Nimravis

I got one for Christmas, but have not used it yet. 

T. nepaeolicus

What I have gathered is that it is good for loose soils but not for hard rock, Estwing products are virtually indestructible, and that I need to be more specific when posting!

T. nepaeolicus

Thank you all!

cngodles

Have used the pick, the big blue. It’s great for chopping through Talus and other debris around rocks. As for hitting the rock itself, it is not so great. I’ve bought just about every geology tool Estwing makes, I’ll have to do a review on different hammers, the burpee pick, etc.

cngodles

Here is that pick next to a bunch of other hammers for scale.

03BB2B6C-07A1-44D2-B60D-F2EFB9766C67.jpeg

Sjfriend

Looks great for helping remove loose overburden?? I've never used myself though 

tooth_claw

We call ours 'Bluebird' and she is great for clays, hard soils and loose debris, very useful for trenching around a large specimen in preparation for a plaster jacket. I wouldn't use it on any sort of rock.

BellamyBlake

I use a hammer myself but it depends on your usage I suppose.

I tried to cheap out on one. My first hammer was $13. That thing started to bend out of shape after the third use, by which time the chisel tip was dull. Then I bought an Estwing. 4x the price to be sure, but by the looks of it this will last a lifetime. 

Boesse

I received one of those as an engagement gift from my wife (another paleontologist here at CofC) - the 3' long Geo/Paleo pick - it's big, but excels at removing overburden, and was a bit more useful than having to lug around our old-fashioned railroad pick. I mostly used it to remove overburden from somewhat indurated silty sandstone on the northern California coast; sadly I only used it a few times before I left it at a parking lot in Halfmoon Bay CA and it was gone by the time I returned the next day. Now I live in a place where the rock is basically goo and I don't really need it. But, if you're digging through soft-ish to moderately indurated sandstone, it'll work great.