A favorite spot never disappoints

dalmayshun

My fossil buddy and I went out this last Saturday, decided not to kayak because it was too windy, so we avoided the Peace or Caloosahatchie rivers and instead headed north to one of our favorite walk in spots to screen for sharks teeth. I was anticipating the water would be warmer than the air, ( 44 degrees) and I was right. It was actually nice to walk the mile into the site in cool air for a change...no bugs, beatiful sunshine and several blooming wild trees. The river was at just the right height. I could show you all the nice shark's teeth I found, but I had decided to give them to a young man at my church who wears a shark's tooth necklace. I have him a nice little box, with an accompanying sheet drawing of each type of fossil and a name so he could learn to identify them....sand, bull, hemipristis, tiger, and even a nice by small megaladon tooth, a couple pieces of ivory, part of a horse tooth, a barracuda tooth, and beatiful gator tooth, a nice 2 inch section of deer antler with its base, a puffer fish plate, several turtle pieces....a lot. However there were two i kept for myself. The vertebrae pictured, that was so perfect I thought it might be recent, but the flame test didn't reveal even a little hint of smell, and the nice shell with evidence of a predator...I can image something smashing into this living busycon, stabbing it, and then ripping the mollusk out of its shell to eat...racoon do you think? Strong teeth. At any rate it was great to be out again. BTW, I am going to post the vertebrae in ids cause I have no idea what it is. It is an inch across....in my excitement to photograph it because it is so perfect, I neglected to add a ruler....sorruy. 

20200209_153452-picsay.jpg

20200209_153522-picsay.jpg

20200209_154213.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, dalmayshun said:

I had decided to give them to a young man at my church who wears a shark's tooth necklace. I gave him sand, bull, hemipristis, tiger, and even a nice by small megaladon tooth, a couple pieces of ivory, part of a horse tooth, a barracuda tooth, and beatiful gator tooth, a nice 2 inch section of deer antler with its base, a puffer fish plate, several turtle pieces.

That's going to make a real heavy and might I say, cumbersome necklace! :heartylaugh:

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

20 hours ago, Bone Daddy said:

That shell might be an artifact.

Intentionally or just random damage?

Just to throw in something :D:

Cracked open by a predator (??) and the rim of the wound overgrown by small oysters, height 29 mm:

GaleodesCornutus_Hoellerkogel18_3736_Hoehe29mm_klein_kompr.jpg.261611344501f8dabe13de505f5f614b.jpg

"Florianer Schichten", Styria, Austria (Miocene - Langhian).

Franz Bernhard

had not thought of crab...but that might be a good suggestion...would have to be a big crab...I know i made the mistake of not putting in a measuring tool of some kind, but the shell is about 4 or 5 inches long. thanks for the help. everyone. It is a keeper if only because it is unusual.