Dental Battery, Rosebud County Montana

Bedrock

MONTANA, Rosebud County find but within eyesight of Garfield County.

This was not found in situ but recovered at the bottom of a wash along with dozens of other fragments.

The smaller piece attached below is from the same section.

Size of dental battery is 9"x4".

Size of smaller tooth section is 3"x2".

234803.thumb.jpg.c4d10131b8627bb9ea8bbbe0a495dbe5.jpg234534.thumb.jpg.234ac6603f8478514336a2de3acf6e49.jpg234359.thumb.jpg.a4f6b9370da375b07ebdfaee18953bba.jpg

• I found this Informative 8
  • Enjoyed 1

Is that life wear on the teeth or weathering/fractures?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

2 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Can someone explain what I am looking at. This is confusing to me. Thanks!

Google "edmontosaurus teeth" the first few images are worth, as they say, a thousand words.

• I found this Informative 1

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

Pictures did not help much other than saying these are edmontosaurus teeth. I didn't question that. I see bone at the top of the picture but can not relate whether the teeth are split  or whether this is the chewing surface. Anatomical location of this picture is what I am after.

1 hour ago, minnbuckeye said:

Pictures did not help much other than saying these are edmontosaurus teeth. I didn't question that. I see bone at the top of the picture but can not relate whether the teeth are split  or whether this is the chewing surface. Anatomical location of this picture is what I am after.

It's one side of the "lower jaw".  There are linear grooves or channels into which the teeth rest.  There are multiple teeth stacked one atop the other in each groove.  As one is worn off and lost, another pushes upward into place.  In the image, the left side is proximal and the right side is distal.

Screenshot_20200209-193618_Chrome.jpg.a7314a630619b837d6a876ec57a89e71.jpg

Here is a poorly preserved one in our collection where the teeth were not preserved / recovered.  You can see the channels where the teeth were.  Proximal end is to the right.

Resized_20200209_195732.thumb.jpeg.41861a008ffa37207b6f1408d8784fd3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

This might further help explain what you are seeing. @minnbuckeye

Here is an Edmontosaurus jaw section from my collection with the upper jaw and teeth (Blue) fused to the lower jaw teeth.   The lower teeth have a protective sheath covering all the teeth except those making contact with the uppers.  Its partially missing in my jaw. 

What you see in the first photos is a section of lowers with full teeth. The third photo are the lowers but looks like its cut in half only exposing the roots and partial teeth

Jaw1a_20200209194452863.thumb.jpg.9e5c44e27e84333f941d3c362081339e.jpg

Here is a side view showing the tooth batteries with the roots with the orange line very roughly what missing in the 3rd photo

Jaw1_20200209200254891.thumb.jpg.7361d44787e004f375e1a0a911fe4808.jpg

Here is a single tooth and root

Hadroroot2.thumb.jpg.16b4a864c19a08d70b47b2bd0350a067.jpg

• I found this Informative 8

That is a great find, Bedrock.  Worth looking for the source,THEN opening a quarry.  The source, in the Hell Creek and Lance, can be very tough to find.

• I found this Informative 2

7 hours ago, jpc said:

That is a great find, Bedrock.  Worth looking for the source,THEN opening a quarry.  The source, in the Hell Creek and Lance, can be very tough to find.

Thanks JPC, I'll have to pass on opening a quarry!

I really appreciate everyone taking time to educate me today,  I had suspected this dentary was from a Hadrosaur but I'm a weekend warrior and green.

I've recovered everything I could find from this site, a few hundred pounds of loose fossils, some partially encased in rock.

I surmised this was originally a large glacial till cliff boulder that had rolled across the stream bed and broke up, it was covered over with several feet of sediment.

Stream erosion trailed bread crumb fragments making it easy to track the deposit.

This find was on private land and removed with permission.

• I found this Informative 2

9 hours ago, Troodon said:

What you see in the first photos is a section of lowers with full teeth. The third photo are the lowers but looks like its cut in half only exposing the roots and partial teeth

11 minutes ago, minnbuckeye said:

Thanks for the anatomy lesson! I have a better grasp of the posted teeth!!

Agreed, thank you for explaining @Troodon. Still a very cool specimen.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

On 2/9/2020 at 4:45 PM, Rockwood said:

I hope you can find a crew this could require opening a quarry.

I have more that I may post after I see what can be mated, there are also a few fragments that appear to be skin.

I'm posting a pic of the opposite side of the Dentary from above, I couldn't add it before due to file size limitation.

Size 9"x4"

234603.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

• 2 years later...