Petalodus12

Hi all,

I found this chunk of bone at Purse State Park this November. It is from the Aquia Formation, which is of Paleocene Age. I was wondering if it could be identified to either crocodile or turtle, considering that these are the only two bony vertebrates that exist in large amounts in this formation. Or, of course, it could be nailed down to chunkosaurus status considering that it is relatively worn and isn’t very large. Thanks in advance!

9E114B4E-24B0-4BBA-98FC-592C120CBD5B.jpeg

DC48441B-349E-4417-97C1-5BBA3D14120B.jpeg

5FBCED9B-BB7C-464C-B9D9-0531C947F64F.jpeg

1 hour ago, FossilsAnonymous said:

I’d go with chunkasaurus. Maybe @sharkdoctor or @MarcoSrcould help identify it further.

It's really hard to say much with the condition of the specimen.  The only thing that I can say is that turtle shell is relatively thin and very porous inside.

Marco Sr.

• I found this Informative 2

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

31 minutes ago, MarcoSr said:

It's really hard to say much with the condition of the specimen.  The only thing that I can say is that turtle shell is relatively thin and very porous inside.

Marco Sr.

Thank you! I figured it was too worn to be identified but I figured I would post it here as to see if there could have been diagnostic features that I was missing.