Tooth ID? Horse, camel, llama

Rosy Lenz

I found this along the Satilla River in Southeast Georgia USA. Can anyone help me identify what kind of tooth it is? It is very square in circumference. There are four holes in the bottom. It is fairly straight, not very curved. 

0209201621_HDR.jpg

I think this is probably a horse tooth (equus I think) but for a positive ID we'd need better pictures. Ideally looking straight down at the item in question, not at an angle, also a picture of the chewing surface would be a great help.

Yep looks like an equus tooth to me. I'm not good with the positions but I think this is an upper tooth? Molar/premolar maybe? Someone else more knowledgeable will probably come along soon.

Yes thank you! It looks like the ones commonly found in the rivers in Florida which are not too far away. Makes sense. So cool. I thought it was just more garbage and almost tossed it til I looked closer. 

Hello and welcome to TFF from Austin, Tx.  I agree that this looks like a horse tooth, but beyond that, we'll have to await more expert opinions on jaw position.

Again, welcome to the forum.

• I found this Informative 1

Thank you so much grandpa and fossilus! Oh this is a great addition to my rock and bone collection. It was the only thing I found that day.

• I found this Informative 1

31 minutes ago, Rosy Lenz said:

Ruger9a those are pretty. I can see mine is pretty beat up. It was on a sandy spot near the waters edge. Thank you.

Yeah it's common for them to be damaged but man can they be nice sometimes! Keep looking, where there's one there may be more!

Thanks for the encouragement Huntonia! I will! It pays to pick up the trash when you are looking because sometimes the trash isn't trash!