Tyrannosaurus rex Metatarsal

I just came across this. According to seller it belongs to subadult T-Rex, found completely intact. I would like to know if it's real or fake. Thanks.

s-l1600 (22).jpg

s-l1600 (21).jpg

s-l1600 (20).jpg

Edited by heZZ
  • I found this Informative 1

5 minutes ago, heZZ said:

Location is not mentioned

You could ask the seller for the info. If they don’t give it, then it might be best to stay away.

1 hour ago, heZZ said:

It has been confirmed to be from a subadult Tyrannosaurus rex

they why are you asking us for an ID

2 hours ago, heZZ said:

It has been confirmed to be from a subadult Tyrannosaurus rex

By who?

12 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thank you...My first impression its a Nanotyrannus metatarsal not T rex

Actually i don't know what to believe

Pete Larsen is the expert on Tyrannosaurids so if he said its a Juvie Rex that's what it is but sorry don't buy it that he and other paleontologist said that.   You typically don't get multiple paleontologists input on an ID, one is usually the best you can do, if you are lucky.  Sounds to contrived.  This bone looks exactly like my 19" Nanotyrannus metatarsal its long and lean where a Juvie Trex would be much robust in the shaft.  I sent off images of your bone to Pete Larsen for his opinion but he's at the Tucson Show and very busy not sure I will hear back from him.

Nanotyrannus

Nano.thumb.jpg.f551c3ba3ee16fbe8c77e184cb8b3315.jpg

T rex adult metatarsal - stouter , not as long and lean

Rex.thumb.jpg.588c54b08b70cdfcfb820cd1e1f3341c.jpg

• I found this Informative 7

@heZZ @Troodon

I think there is some confusion regarding the ID of this bone which is probably my fault:

I bought a large toe bone from an European dealer back in 2018. This toe bone has been identified by Pete Larson as sub-adult Trex.

At this time, the seller of the toe bone was also selling the metatarsal discussed in this topic. He seller told me that the metatarsal was found at the same dig site as the toe bone.

This of course does not automatically mean that both bones are  from the same animal. 

Hello! This is my metatarsal and Peter Larson said that it is from a juvie rex digit 2. There are also massive differences in the growth stages of a T.rex so adult bones look very different. I am also not 100% sure where this was found but @Flx could have some info on it?

@Oxalaia

Please do not mention selling or advertise outside the Sales forum.  Posting in that forum also has very specific rules.  Thanks. ;)

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

11 minutes ago, JohnJ said:

@Oxalaia

Please do not mention selling or advertise outside the Sales forum.  Posting in that forum also has very specific rules.  Thanks. ;)

ahh, sorry.

Yes from that view it does look fatter in the shaft.  Could then be a juvie Trex I just dont know..     You mention the toe bone might be a clue it all depends on what type of deposit it was collect in.   If it was a channel or micro site deposit which are very common and typical  its a very mixed species type of collecting but if it was from the remains of a juvie Trex another story.