Do You Know What These Are? West Virginia

Kurri Kline

We split open this rock yesterday and it has a mirror image of two things I am not sure of.  

#1 I see some shell...

#2 Vegetation? 

notsure2.jpg

notsurecloseup.jpg

notsure.jpg

notsure3.jpg

The item with the positive/ negative image is a brachiopod, not sure on the #2 porus thing.

Dorensigbadges.JPG       

Agreed with brachiopod (steinkern) for the first one. The second one might be bryozoan.

The preservation looks very similar to the Mahantango Formation (mid Devonian). I’ll confirm with @Shamalama

• I found this Informative 2

...How to Philosophize with a Hammer

I agree with Spiriferid brachiopod. 

The second bit I am less sure of.

Possibly another shell, or a bit of Dipleura trilobite ?  :headscratch:

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Nice find.  I also had a few specimens similar to yours.  I was curious of how much of the internal mold was represented so I carefully removed them and ended up with these.  They were fairly complete minus the wing tips and some portions of the shell.  I am not suggesting you do this as I had several to spare and you may not.  I thought you might be interested in what it looks like matrix free.

DSCN9997a.jpg

DSCN9999a.jpg

DSCN9988a.jpg

DSCN0008a.jpg

DSCN0003a.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

I think the second one most likely is a bryozoan. It appears to have the form of a colony.

I’m leaning more towards bryozoan on this one as well. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

could the bryozoan looking thing be a plate from a very big crinoid calyx? I remember such from the Mahantango of PA but much smaller.

Thank you everyone! You really made my day!  Rugar9a those are amazing pictures, nice to see what they look like matrix free.  Can't wait to go back to this spot to see what else I can find.

Getting here a little late, but a warm Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  I love the spirifer brach.  I'm not sure that anyone has correctly ID'ed the other specimen yet and am still awaiting further inputs to see if someone can nail it down more convincingly.

But, back to the Welcome, you have come to a great place to bring such questions, as I'm sure you are already aware.  Glad to have you aboard!  Please continue to bring us your unknowns.

3 minutes ago, grandpa said:

Getting here a little late, but a warm Welcome to the forum from Austin, Tx.  I love the spirifer brach.  I'm not sure that anyone has correctly ID'ed the other specimen yet and am still awaiting further inputs to see if someone can nail it down more convincingly.

But, back to the Welcome, you have come to a great place to bring such questions, as I'm sure you are already aware.  Glad to have you aboard!  Please continue to bring us your unknowns.

Thank you, I will!

On 2/10/2020 at 8:13 PM, Kurri Kline said:

We split open this rock yesterday and it has a mirror image of two things I am not sure of.  

#1 I see some shell...

#2 Vegetation? 

notsure2.jpg

notsure3.jpg

Your rock does indeed look similar to that of the Mahantango, but it could also fall into the Chemung group which is upper Devonian in age.  Based on the size and shape of the steinkern in your first few  pics, I'd suggest you have a Mucrospirifer mucronautus internal cast and external mold. 

The second pic is interesting. It looks small, maybe 1-2cm based on the cloth weave next to it. I'm not so sure about bryozoan as there is not enough to tell what it is for certain. You have a negative external mold of something that appears to have spines or bumps and we only see the pits of the underside.  I don't see a clear picture of the corresponding positive side. Your second and third pics show it but it's blurry. Can you post a clear pic of that?  I'm leaning towards a part of a Spinocyrtia sp. or possibly @Fossildude19's suggestion of a bit of Dipleura dekayi exoskeleton.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

1 hour ago, Plax said:

Am still in the really big crinoid head plate camp for #2

or maybe not so big. Thanks to Shamalama's observations.

17 hours ago, Kurri Kline said:

Can't wait to go back to this spot to see what else I can find.

Good idea. Brachiopod fossils are seldom a one-of occurrence. Usually there's at least hundreds more, if not thousands, where you found that one.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!