Sponge? Coral? None of the above?

Jerry W.

It could be a sponge. You probably need to research the papers on the formation that it was found in. Where was it found including formation?

Compare it to a similar aged sponge from Germany posted by Ludwigia:

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

17 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It could be a sponge. You probably need to research the papers on the formation that it was found in. Where was it found including formation?

Compare it to a similar aged sponge from Germany posted by Ludwigia:

That is an excellent suggestion.  Thank you.

After some research, I believe my fossil specimen is likely Stromatolite coral.  Other specimens of Stromatolite from Kansas were originally mistaken for sponge and given the name Somphospongia sp., though mine was not found in Kansas.  I might have to open it up to find out for sure.

Does anyone concur, or as we say in the South, "Can I get an Amen?"

19 minutes ago, Jerry W. said:

After some research, I believe my fossil specimen is likely Stromatolite coral.  Other specimens of Stromatolite from Kansas were originally mistaken for sponge and given the name Somphospongia sp., though mine was not found in Kansas.  I might have to open it up to find out for sure.

Does anyone concur, or as we say in the South, "Can I get an Amen?"

If it is a stromatolite then it is not a coral. Stromatolites are formed by microscopic algae/ bacteria.

9191C3ED-8EAB-4B81-B4A7-D3BFFACFBE88.jpeg

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

3 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

If it is a stromatolites then it is not a coral. Stromatolites are formed by microscopic algae/ bacteria.

Well, I'll fix that right now. 

Amended Statement from above:  After some research, I believe my specimen is likely Stromatolites, once formed by microscopic algae/bacteria.