Is this a mammoth bison?

TJTCSC

My cousin and I found this years ago while walking an old creek bed on his grandmas farm land. We were told it was a mammoth bison skull from the ice age. We know nothing about fossils and honestly can’t even decide if it is a fossil. It’s over 31” from horn tip to horn tip and pretty dang heavy. 
Can anyone give us some sort of information on this? Thanks 

653CF6E3-9E6B-4008-A537-66065BECD537.jpeg

7080EA24-2759-4F11-A3F4-1E57A02217A5.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

I am curious how one differentiates Bison bison from bison antiquus from a limited piece like this?  What are the distinguishing features that you see?  The info I have found online after a quick search is not very helpful. Thanks. 

I live in South Dakota and the mass of this skull is far larger than any normal bison skull I’ve seen. Pictures don’t do it justice 

• I found this Informative 1

Here is a site... mostly SIZE - Bison bison is much smaller than bison antiquus

https://allaboutbison.com/ancient-bison/

However, the above site indicates

B. antiquus was taller, had larger bones and horns, and was 15-25% larger overall than modern bison. It reached up to 2.27 m tall, 4.6 m  long, and a weight of 1,588 kg. From tip to tip, the horns of B. antiquus measured about 3 ft (nearly 1 m).

• I found this Informative 3

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

Got it, yes, I’ve read about the size difference but was just hoping there might be something else since there is a ton of overlap in size ranges of the various species. I’m not doubting it could be one of the older forms, I was just looking to learn a bit more. Luckily, this would be on the very large size for the modern form so that is less likely. 

33 minutes ago, TJTCSC said:

s this fairly common? Or a rare kind of find?

I’m not sure about your area specifically, but I know bison are one of, if not the most, common ice age megafauna found. 

57 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

Mammoth Bison? Is that a thing?

No.

The human mind has the ability to believe anything is true.  -  JJ

3 hours ago, ClearLake said:

Is using the term “mammoth” for really big that uncommon?  I thought everyone said that!?  :thumbsu:

Everything is "mammoth" in Texas ?

Na. That's not it. :)

14 hours ago, TJTCSC said:

Is this fairly common? Or a rare kind of find?

I believe that 

jack.JPG

is a candidate based on Harry Pristis table of average size. Anything that has survived the last 10000 years is rare.

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"

12 hours ago, TJTCSC said:

Is this fairly common? Or a rare kind of find?

Yes. it is a rare finding skulls with horns. Usually skulls and horns breaks apart when buried or when exposed to the  flowing water. You  would only find bits and pieces of bone fragments in the ceeks and rivers.  I have yet to  find skull or horn since I have been fossil hunting. Found plenty of other bison bones like vertebra and leg bones which seems to preserve better.

I will say that this is the first time we have seen the term mammoth used as an adjective here.  It is common in English, but not so much here where mammoth is an extinct elephant.  Nice find, by the way.  

56 minutes ago, T. nepaeolicus said:

Just to clear things up: mammoth is being used as an adjective (as in big or large) in this case, right?

No. The website I posted called it a mammoth steppe bison   That’s why I called it that. Seems I shouldn’t have said that 

10 hours ago, TJTCSC said:

No. The website I posted called it a mammoth steppe bison   That’s why I called it that. Seems I shouldn’t have said that 

“Mammoth steppe” was an ancient grassland ecosystem, therefore a mammoth steppe bison would be a bison living in that ecosystem.

• I found this Informative 2