Tooth ID confirmation requested

Ruger9a

Good morning folks.  I am requesting confirmation or correction assistance concerning this tooth described as Konobelodon(?) tooth, Miocene from the  Linxia Basin of China.   I am wondering if it could be a Amebelodon, Platybelodon or Choerolophodon.  Help please.

Konobelodon tooth top (2).JPG

Konobelodon tooth left (2).JPG

Konobelodon tooth right (2).JPG

Konobelodon tooth bottom (2).JPG

14 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Is this a tough one?

For me, yep! Never even heard of Konobelodon, Amebelodon, Platybelodon, or Choerolophodon! I know next to nothing about Pleistocene China outside of pandas being fairly late arrivals to the region from Europe... 

2 hours ago, Micah said:

For me, yep! Never even heard of Konobelodon, Amebelodon, Platybelodon, or Choerolophodon! I know next to nothing about Pleistocene China outside of pandas being fairly late arrivals to the region from Europe... 

LOL.  Looks like we may not be alone.

Well it doesn't strike me as a platybelodon but I'm far from an expert in differentiating these less common proboscidean species. :shrug:

It's a beautiful tooth. Don't know of who belongs to, but I think it might be a deciduous tooth (premolar?). I'm not sure.

• I found this Informative 2

" We are not separate and independent entities, but like links in a chain, and we could not by any means be what we are without those who went before us and showed us the way. "

Thomas Mann

My Library

40 minutes ago, abyssunder said:

It's a beautiful tooth. Don't know of who belongs to, but I think it might be a deciduous tooth (premolar?). I'm not sure.

I agree, it's clearly the full crown but quite small, so I think it's likely a deciduous tooth. Definately very cool but going to be very difficult to get a posotive ID. My best recommendation would be to take it in hand to a paleontologist.

• I found this Informative 1

4 hours ago, abyssunder said:

3 hours ago, Huntonia said:

I agree, it's clearly the full crown but quite small, so I think it's likely a deciduous tooth. Definately very cool but going to be very difficult to get a posotive ID. My best recommendation would be to take it in hand to a paleontologist.

Thanks guys.  This tooth does appear to be a difficult to confirm.  I was hoping a paleontologist in our forum might be able to give me a response. 

4 hours ago, Chase owen said:

sinomastodon molar

Thanks Chase!  Can you tell me where you found the documentation identifying this tooth?  I have been steadily researching it and did find one document that has a jaw section photo that does look like this tooth but it is so small it's had for me to compare.

12 hours ago, caldigger said:

It looks like it's from a love child between a Deinotherium and a Gompothere. :wub:

LOL, it might be.  All the research I've done on Sinomastodon (based upon what Chase owen stated above) seems to match perfectly.  The Deinotherium species is much larger and the teeth have a connecting ridge that does not coincide with the shape of this tooth.   I am grateful for all recommendations as the research broadens my knowledge base.  Thank you both.    

These teeth are difficult to find. This is a rare find I’ve only ever encountered a hand full of these. Here’s a good example of their tooth specifically the ones on the top left

6307B2E8-2194-443F-BEA8-36DC613CDCFC.png

• I found this Informative 2