Strange whale or dolphin tooth

sharkdoctor

This tooth has me stumped. I'd love to have your thoughts. Is it from a ziphiid? Something else? Any chance it isn't cetacean? 

It was found in the Eastover Formation in eastern Virginia.

5e44333bbb8e0_Dolphintoothresize2_12_20.thumb.jpg.718ef9352cb568a1fd97af816b1d6517.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

Looks like a sperm whale tooth to me. Any ideas @Boesse?

• I found this Informative 1

“...whilst this planet has gone cycling on according to the fixed law of gravity, from so simple a beginning endless forms most beautiful and most wonderful have been and are being evolved.” ~ Charles Darwin

Happy hunting,

Mason

We find teeth like that in the Sharktooth Hill Bonebed too - chunky roots with a small crown.  It's a whale for sure and maybe one of the "archaic dolphins" as Harry is saying.

@siteseer @Harry Pristis Thanks for the thoughts. In this photo, it's hard to see, but the crown is nearly perpendicular to the root. It's almost as if you took Harry's tooth and rotated the crown to be at nearly a 90 degree angle to the root mass.

BTW, Harry, I am super impressed that you had instant recall to a mystery find from the 1980's :default_faint:

@sharkdoctor

Bobby identified similar but slightly smaller teeth in this thread: Might be worth checking out...

image.png.0bd59617a279a9d61239450b92028b75.png

The White Queen  ".... in her youth she could believe "six impossible things before breakfast"