A lovely 18" belemnite slab I've bought for my birthday (birthday belemnites are a bit of a tradition!).
From the Jurassic Posidonienschiefer (Toarcian, Upper Lias) of Holzmaden - a very interesting and unusual selection of mostly the same species, one with a nice epirostrum.
Not quite sure of the actual species, but it's close to Acrocoelites subtenuis and A. gracilis - neither of which usually have epirostra (the squashed bit at the tip of photo 2). 
It also contains a couple of bonus teeth including a Hybodus type which Sebastian @belemniten tells me is a rarity there. :)

Apart from the fact it's a great display piece, the main reason I bought it is its faunal similarity to the basal beds of the Alum Shales around Whitby in Yorkshire, known as the "Hard Shales" (Toarcian, Bifrons Zone). There, you get accumulations of Acrocoelites subtenuis at the same sort of density possibly conspecific with these, but never showing an epirostrum. One possible reason for this is that the epirostrum is a sexual dimorphism, connected with breeding grounds, so they only occur in specific areas at any given time. Or it may just be a different species...

IMG_3604.jpeg

form with short epirostrum:

IMG_3607.jpeg

orthorostrum:

IMG_3608.jpg

• I found this Informative 9

Tarquin

Wow, what a nice plate and a really great gift for yourself. :) Happy Birthday!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Wow stunning show piece and definitely worth keeping up traditions then. :D

Happy birthday and enjoy sharing your birthday with some over great people Darwin, Edward Forbes, Barnum Brown and Lincoln. 

:yay-smiley-1:

• I found this Informative 1

That’s a great piece! Happy Birthday!

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Really nice piece and you are a great photographer! Congrats and happy birthday!

Many greetings from Germany ! Have a great time with many fossils :)

Regards Sebastian

Belo.gif

That's a wonderful belemnite plate - and the Hybodus tooth just makes it way better!

Happy birthday!

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

Im certainly not a belemnite guy but I  have to say that is one heck of a nice slab of rock!!!  Have a great birthday man.

RB

15 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Wow, what a nice plate and a really great gift for yourself. :) Happy Birthday!

15 hours ago, connorp said:

Birthday belemnites, I love it. Nice piece, the tooth is spectacular.

14 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Beautiful plate worthy of anyone's special day. 

Happy Birthday! 

Happy-TORTOISE.gif.db28fdc686c4a462ace95fc5f1c8be15.gif

14 hours ago, Bobby Rico said:

Wow stunning show piece and definitely worth keeping up traditions then. :D

Happy birthday and enjoy sharing your birthday with some over great people Darwin, Edward Forbes, Barnum Brown and Lincoln. 

14 hours ago, Ludwigia said:

Very nice! Happy birthday to you!

13 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

That’s a great piece! Happy Birthday!

13 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Beautiful plate, happy birthday.

12 hours ago, belemniten said:

Really nice piece and you are a great photographer! Congrats and happy birthday!

11 hours ago, Pterygotus said:

Really nice! Love the tooth and the belemnites :). Happy Birthday! :yay-smiley-1:

11 hours ago, The Amateur Paleontologist said:

That's a wonderful belemnite plate - and the Hybodus tooth just makes it way better!

Happy birthday!

11 hours ago, RJB said:

Im certainly not a belemnite guy but I  have to say that is one heck of a nice slab of rock!!!  Have a great birthday man.

RB

10 hours ago, Randyw said:

Happy birthday! And great looking piece!

7 hours ago, Allosaurus said:

Really cool plate. Happy Birthday!

Many thanks, everyone!

Tarquin