Can somebody tell me what this matrix is

ethnfreeman

Can someone tell me what that rock that contains these plants is. Ash maybe? its a shale type material almost flint it feels like it was found in south central WV in Lincoln county it comes from the pennsylvanian era i believe.

86351051_205571563896811_7694649080055595008_n.jpg

It's hard to say from a photo but it could be shale.  I've seen fossil plants from West Virginia before.  A few years ago, someone at the Tampa show had a couple of plates like that.

• I found this Informative 2

Looks like a shale type rock to me, maybe made more brittle by the compression and mountain building of the region? If it were flint or chert then you'd see conchoidal fractures like along the edges of an arrowhead.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, Wxman said:

Nice find.

Thank you i love the contrast between coalified plant and the whatever that is its in total accidental find creek washed away back yard by my friends house exposing this stuff a bunch of it is there the house is it the top of a big hill that used to be under a mountain and the ground has been uplifted. Im trying to figure out what it was when it buried the plant.