Spoons

1 hour ago, RuMert said:

Nice views. What's the stratigraphy?

Here is a great guide about Northern California coastal fossil hunting that includes info about the stratigraphy: 

https://www2.humboldt.edu/natmus/get-outside/fossils/Geol-Fossil-Guide.pdf

E5DAAA55-B912-4259-A38A-F30F3D21B3A4.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

Great report and finds!

Thanks for the fieldtrip! :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

That looks like a fun site to visit. I get bored at normal beaches but if I could fossil collect then I'd be much happier.

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

Thanks for the report! Looks like a beautiful place to hunt. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

3 hours ago, DPS Ammonite said:

Here is a great guide about Northern California coastal fossil hunting that includes info about the stratigraphy: 

https://www2.humboldt.edu/natmus/get-outside/fossils/Geol-Fossil-Guide.pdf

E5DAAA55-B912-4259-A38A-F30F3D21B3A4.jpeg

Yes, the stie mentioned as the Fleener Creek Trailhead is the same place I’m talking about here.

This guide is a little out of date, but gives a good overview of my local fossil prospects.

52 minutes ago, Shamalama said:

That looks like a fun site to visit. I get bored at normal beaches but if I could fossil collect then I'd be much happier.

I feel the same way

Nice report and some great photos. 

Some super fossils too. :)

Thanks for sharing. 

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

7 hours ago, RuMert said:

Nice views. What's the stratigraphy?

I don’t think I understand your question.

The dark gray mudstone is the Rio Dell Formation. This represents deposition of a southeastward trending embayment  laid down approximately 2ma during the late Pliocene early Pleistocene.

The Orange sandstones I do believe are part of the Carlotta Formation. This lies uncomformably on top of the Rio Dell. This represents a delta deposit that would have flowed into said bay. I don’t recall ever coming across a definitive date for the Carlotta, but it’s somewhere Between 2ma and 450,000 ybp.

• I found this Informative 1

I also forgot to share this with you guys!

Carbonized Sequoia Sempervirens logs, some over  25ft in length have been recovered from the Carlotta. 

Here’s an in field example of some Carbonized wood. (I know it’s kinda a bad picture)

C062E889-0544-4C76-ACFF-5E2D55BB6377.jpeg

Cool! Are there any shark teeth at this site? 

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas