Footprints of early Pterosaurs showed that they were good walkers

msantix

An article describes some rare finds of non-pterodactyloid pterosaur footprints. It was thought that earlier Pterosaurs (long tailed Pterosaurs) were poor walkers since footprints of these early Pterosaurs were rarely found compared to some later Pterosaur. However these new discoveries have shown that the earlier Pterosaurs were quadruple and had five toes on their hind feet (compared to four for the later Pterosaurs), and the researchers believe that this is evidence that they were also good walkers and not clumsy on the ground.

https://www.scientificamerican.com/article/footprint-find-could-be-a-holy-grail-of-pterosaur-research/

• I found this Informative 4

The drawing at the top shows a long tail dragging on the ground but there seems to be no evidence of a tail track in the new fossil. 

Did they keep their tails erect and off the ground, i wonder?  

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

The drawing at the top was made by Mark Witton who talked about the article a lot on social media. That drawing was designed to be a nod (but a bit more accurate) to the very first reconstruction of Rhamphorhynchus walking back in 1863 by Auguste Faguet. 

It is probably more likely the long tailed Pterosaurs (or at least some of them) kept their tails off the ground. (picture from a 2015 Mark Witton research article on early Pterosaur locomotion https://peerj.com/articles/1018/ - it's open access).

fig-5-2x.jpg

• I found this Informative 1