Large neuropteris frond?

blackmoth

found this piece in a CP(early P or  late C) stratum west of beijing, China, in which the most common stuff is neuropteris ovata.

The vein is obvously neuropteris type, as can be seen easly under the sun, if not in the pic.

The stem is about 5mm wide, which can be used as the scale.

I have never seen neuropteris with this shape and size.

80d5501d659f4712d74e7e3c9e2c8e6.jpg

5bddcc35f284ae2935172de230e315b.jpg

20189da67fccd33d9864074e5e43d52.jpg

Edited by blackmoth
typo
  • I found this Informative 1

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Forgive my ignorance, but what do you find unusual about it ?

The size and shape.   I could not find any description od any neuropteris of  early permian/late carboniferous period that matches this.

What could it be?   any specific speciece name?  Or just Neuropters sp.

This one looks kind of close, or N. collinsi.

Edited by blackmoth
typo

Cyclopteris maybe? 

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Large neuropteris frond?
15 minutes ago, blackmoth said:

The size and shape.  

I suspect it is from the proximal end of a frond. Would it not be expected that a pinnule in that position sometimes be smaller and a bit misshapen even if the outline is completely preserved ?

3 minutes ago, Rockwood said:

But what happens when you identify the one other side of the rachis ? Shouldn't they be the same ?

Hence, the question mark. ;) 

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

Have a look at the collections of the Swedish Museum of Natural History, they have a nice online database with Permo-Carboniferous plant fossils from China (LINK).

Perhaps you can find a match there.

• I found this Informative 4

Searching for green in the dark grey.

1 hour ago, paleoflor said:

Have a look at the collections of the Swedish Museum of Natural History, they have a nice online database with Permo-Carboniferous plant fossils from China (LINK). Perhaps you can find a match there.

You are suggesting it is complete and representative enough to do so ? 

18 hours ago, Rockwood said:

You are suggesting it is complete and representative enough to do so ? 

I was merely suggesting a publically available reference source, which may help start a more focussed literature search. Note the website also provides publication lists. Yet, I think the width of the rachis is quite unusual, so this might actually help guide the search. A possible candidate could perhaps be Neuropteridium polymorphum, for example. But you need to access the locality-specific literature for proper comparisons... and that museum website is the only online source I knew...

EDIT: Looking at more material, the pinnules of Neuropteridium polymorphum generally seem to have stronger midveins than this specimen, so probably not a match. 

• I found this Informative 4

Not Cyclopteris. I'm leaning toward Macroneuropteris gigantea, due to size and lack of basal pinnules.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

8 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Not Cyclopteris. I'm leaning toward Macroneuropteris gigantea, due to size and lack of basal pinnules.

Macroneuropteris gigantea= Neuropteris gigantea?

The combination Macroneuropteris gigantea is unknown to me also. Probably either Neuropteris (Paripterisgigantea or a different species of Macroneuropteris was meant. Some forms of the latter genus do indeed resemble your specimen. Problem I had with this option is that the genus does not occur on the species lists on the Swedish Museum of Natural History website. Then again, Macroneuropteris was only coined by Cleal et al. somewhere in the late eighties early nineties, while the species lists on the museum website could be based on older literature...

A few years back I tried to find more info on Macroneuropteris in relation to the find below.

14 hours ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

But again, the Macroneuropteris gigantea has a very strong midvein to the pinnules. 

I came across this in researching M. gigantea. 

This one looks more similar to the OP's item than does M. gigantea

Neuropteris collinsi:                                                                                                  Macroneuropteris gigantea

GL059Neuropteris03CB.jpg                       versus          GL059Neuropteris04CB.jpg         

LINK

But again, this does not show up on the Museum list Tim provided.  :( 

• I found this Informative 3

I was under the impression that the entire genus Neuropteris had been reclassified to Macroneuropteris. I'm losing track of what's what nowadays.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

On 15/02/2020 at 7:34 PM, Mark Kmiecik said:

I was under the impression that the entire genus Neuropteris had been reclassified to Macroneuropteris. I'm losing track of what's what nowadays.

Have a look at Cleal and Shute (1995): https://biodiversitylibrary.org/page/36621111