Teeth from the priabonian of dakhla morocco

Notidanodon

Hi guys I was in a rush but can take better pics at a later time, so far my tentative IDs are hemipristis Serra and isurus praecursor for right and left of 1st pic but no idea on the others (maybe galeocerdo In the middle though) those id’s were all of the top of my head so no real idea89DB681B-8494-4A48-A4A3-E78A72D6DD64.thumb.jpeg.5111f475285f63671da2c4de90735d68.jpeg759C4605-1514-4706-B22D-BDEDA06CD95A.thumb.jpeg.5be2ed7538e3973504c107b3e6e9d3cf.jpegE6E361AC-7CD4-4DD1-A161-86D2E77EE028.thumb.jpeg.646ce8ef69d0285d1704cfaf7a52d737.jpeg

Will, I would agree with some form of phyllodus mouthplate. @Praefectus has it right on the dot with the other teeth.

• I found this Informative 1

On The Hunt For The Trophy Otodus!

8 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

@siteseer @MarcoSr What are you thinking the three teeth on the left are? I wasn't entirely sure about the isurus praecursor ID. 

I won't keep you in suspense.  Pending a lingual view of the three teeth on the left, I think the one on the left and the one on the bottom could be Alopias teeth.

Jess

• I found this Informative 2

9 minutes ago, siteseer said:

I won't keep you in suspense.  Pending a lingual view of the three teeth on the left, I think the one on the left and the one on the bottom could be Alopias teeth.

Jess

I think you are right. I made the call too fast. Alopias fits the shape of the root better. Did you have a specific species in mind? Maybe Alopias ...alabamensis??? 

13 minutes ago, Praefectus said:

I think you are right. I made the call too fast. Alopias fits the shape of the root better. Did you have a specific species in mind? Maybe Alopias ...alabamensis??? 

Maybe.  The crown seems broader, though.  I think I've seen a tooth like that from Harleyville where it's very rare. 

Marco Sr. has seen a lot of Eocene teeth from the east coast.  We'll all wait for the lingual views.

@isurus90064

Thanks for including siteseer. Alopias alabamensis to me.

In the literature Alopias from ad-Dakhla is listed as Alopias cff. alabamensis - "A Middle–Late Eocene vertebrate fauna (marine fish and mammals) from southwestern Morocco; preliminary report: age and palaeobiogeographical implications", SYLVAIN ADNET, HENRI CAPPETTA & RODOLPHE TABUCE, 2009.

• I found this Informative 3

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

Jess

6 hours ago, siteseer said:

Maybe.  The crown seems broader, though.  I think I've seen a tooth like that from Harleyville where it's very rare. 

Marco Sr. has seen a lot of Eocene teeth from the east coast.  We'll all wait for the lingual views.

@isurus90064

I was thinking Alopias and from the new pictures I would id those three teeth as Alopias.  Alopias are not common at all in the Eocene Nanjemoy formation of Maryland and Virginia.  I have only found a single specimen (7 mm).  See the below pictures.  This tooth will be described in an update to Publication 152 on the Fisher/Sullivan site.  Alopias was more common in the Eocene of Alabama.

5e4a86ffa555b_shark11Alopiassp.7mmlingualview.jpg.d035ea3ea2406bb92d2ac5a801b38ffe.jpg5e4a87025dca8_shark11Alopiassp.7mmlabialview.jpg.0888d15d3f31fbb93ad12b7f0cc07aad.jpg

Marco Sr.

"Any day that you can fossil hunt is a great day."

My family fossil website     Some Of My Shark, Ray, Fish And Other Micros     My Extant Shark Jaw Collection

image.png.9a941d70fb26446297dbc9dae7bae7ed.png image.png.41c8380882dac648c6131b5bc1377249.png

22 hours ago, will stevenson said:

I have only 1 from the uk from lee on solent so they are not common here either, thanks so much @MarcoSr @siteseer @Praefectus 

@isurus90064  Do you happen to have any info on the formation these teeth come from

@will stevenson This is the only paper I'm aware of that covers that genus from that location. It's naming Alopias leensis, a sp. nov. Would be good to see some pics of your tooth.

"Additions to the fish fauna of the english Palaeogene; 1. two new species of Alopias (thresher shark) from the english eocene, Ward, D.J. 1978".

Not sure if David or anyone else has published any updates on the matter considering this paper was published more than 40 years ago.

58 minutes ago, Al Dente said:

I would call the two circled teeth Physogaleus.

dakhlateeth.JPG

In the uk we have physogaleus segundus is that it, should I just name the other indet. carchariformes

On 2/18/2020 at 3:48 AM, isurus90064 said:

@will stevenson This is the only paper I'm aware of that covers that genus from that location. It's naming Alopias leensis, a sp. nov. Would be good to see some pics of your tooth.

"Additions to the fish fauna of the english Palaeogene; 1. two new species of Alopias (thresher shark) from the english eocene, Ward, D.J. 1978".

Not sure if David or anyone else has published any updates on the matter considering this paper was published more than 40 years ago.

Hi Isurus90064,

There's just a listing and figure of it in Kemp, Kemp, and Ward (1990).  .As Will Stevenson said, it is an uncommon find and that might be putting it mildly.  I've never seen one and it's apparently known from just one bed based on that publication.

Jess

Kemp, D., L. Kemp, and D. Ward.  1990.

An Illustrated Guide to the British Middle Eocene Vertebrates.  David Ward (publisher).

• I found this Informative 1