Dinco

I know these a pretty common fossils at least in my area, but I wondered if someone could help me know more about them. I own a limerock quarry and they’re everywhere. We’ve found several sharks teeth as well. Just curious as to how old these fossils may be as well. Any help is appreciated. 

image.jpg

they are probably pliocene or pleistocene...look up a geologic map for your area, and you'll find the layers listed as to what formation...Say, Tamiami, then google the Tamiami Formation and you will be able to get their age... probably from 10,000 plus. I find it fascinating that ocean shells like this are now found on dry ground in Florida....think of it, your quarry was once under water...and they talk about oceans rising now. Are we in trouble. I wonder if all that water that used to be over Florida is not tied up in the Artic and Antartic ice beds. It may be coming back. Perhaps you saw in the news, that divers discovered a petrified forest of stumps and logs off the coast of Apalachicola....some 5 miles out. So at one time Fla was covered, at another it was much larger for long enough periods of time for trees to grow ....amazing. We think the world is stable. Certainly our wonderful fossil record and the extinct species show it is not. Post more of you finds on the form...you'll be able to get the sharks teeth id'd as well. Good luck, nice hunting. 

• I found this Informative 1