The Amateur Paleontologist

Hey everyone - hope you're all doing :) 

Just thought I'd share with you guys a chart I made, comparing the sizes of various marine reptile species known from the Maastrichtian chalk of Møns Klint (~70 million years old - Hvidskud Member of the Møns Klint Formation). For now, there are only 3 reptile species known from MK. But who knows, that number might increase now that more in-depth collection and research is taking place over there ;) 

Anyways... onto the size comparison chart - here it is:

5e4959eadde21_ScreenShot2020-02-16at15_56_23.thumb.png.053ea9aa42b717500e4d5676547be2ab.png

Details:

1. The Mosasaurus hoffmannii is known from one very well-preserved pterygoid ('palate') tooth crown (belongs to the Danish Museum of Natural History/NHMD, but on loan to the GeoCenter Møns     Klint/GCMK). Mhoffmannii is estimated to have reached ~17 metres, though the one in this chart represents a smaller-sized individual (~12m).
  2. The M. cf. lemonnieri is known from an excellently preserved tooth crown (belongs to NHMD but on loan to GCMK). Other fragmentary, eroded mosasaur teeth (2 or 3) are known from Møns Klint, and they might belong to either Mlemonnieri or Mhoffmannii 
  3. The possible Thoracosaurus (crocodylian) is known from a partial mandible, with 2 tooth imprints associated (I'm currently describing that fossil, and soon hope to have the paper sent for publication :fingerscrossed:)

Known remains are shown in white (teeth for the mosasaurs, partial mandible for the crocodile).

Note: the reptile outlines are not mine, I modified them from some that were made by DeviantArt users paleosir and PWNZ3R-Dragon.

Hope you liked this size comparison chart!

-Christian

• I found this Informative 9

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile

4 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Interesting. 

Good luck with your paper. :)

Thanks! 

Opalised fossils are the best: a wonderful mix between paleontology and mineralogy!

Q. Where do dinosaurs study?

A. At Khaan Academy!...

My ResearchGate profile