Plesiosaur verts?

snolly50

Please offer any comments as to the ID of this piece. It was acquired years ago from Poland; but it was reportedly quarried at a Cretaceous site, Goulmima, Morocco. The matrix proved to be far too hard for the low powered tools I utilize for prep; so the piece languished in the garage for years. Finally it was shipped to Kris in Tx. Below is the account of his prep travail. As stated, it was labeled "Plesiosaurus, Cretaceous, Goulmima, Morocco." Any conformation or condemnation will be appreciated. I have real trouble visualizing the relationship between the appearance of the "front" and the "back" of the piece. To my eye it is almost as if the "back" represents the imprint of a different string of verts?!?

Here is the display side that finally emerged.

DSC_0999aczl.thumb.jpg.4223f21deecf758f9093496807844a9c.jpg

Here is the "back" side which was partially visible when the piece was received.

DSC_1001acz.thumb.jpg.47246aab98d9a15c5b246c883d089c14.jpg

DSC_1009acz.thumb.jpg.3239d88db4f96d610516dcc620a1f59c.jpg

DSC_1006acz.thumb.jpg.3d1f1c80aaad9e4c70e7b12947295e27.jpg

DSC_1005acz.thumb.jpg.753f1a706d67d4e22197e66b2b702b87.jpg

DSC_1003acz.thumb.jpg.06b7e0b163888a22cc6f90f14d7b6bd5.jpg

Thanks for any observations.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

That is a beautiful fossil, and the preparation looks amazing!

In regards to the identification, at first i thought it looked quite similar to some of the Plesiosaur vertebra's i have seen come out of that locality, however i have seen fossils from the early Mosasaur Tethysaurus Nopcsai that have similar vertebra's.

Here is a picture of some vertebra's from Tethysaurus (the size is about right as well)

1c4900e7-00a8-43e8-b7a2-1c48e911b05d.jpge

These are some vertebra's from the Plesiosaur Thililua Longicollis

Thililua longicollis gen. et sp. nov., holotype MNHGr.PA.11710, Goulmima region, Turonian, Morocco. A , Skull, mandible and associated vertebrae in articulation in right lateral view; B , interpretation. Abbreviations: Ax , axis; C , cervical; D , dorsal; P , pectoral vertebra; r , rib. Fig. 2. Thililua longicollis gen. et sp. nov., holotype MNHGr.PA.11710, r é gion de Goulmima, Turonien, Maroc. A , Cr â ne, mandibule et vert è bres associ é es en articulation en vue lat é rale droite ; B , interpr é tation. Abr é viations: Ax , axis ; C , vert è bre cervicale ; D , dorsale ; P , pectorale ; r , c ô te. 

And some other Plesiosaur vertebra's

image.jpg

I don't think the fossil in question is from a Pliosaur and i tend to lean towards Tethysaurus due to the size and shape, although a Polycotylid Plesiosaur like Thililua or Manemergus can't be ruled out. Would love to hear other opinions.

• I found this Informative 1

@msantix Thank you for your helpful observations. I hope others will opine and follow up on your thoughts.

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

@jnoun11 If you have an opportunity, please comment regarding the ID of this piece of Moroccan origin. 

• I found this Informative 2

The trouble with having an open mind, of course, is that people will insist on coming along and trying to put things in it. Terry Pratchett ...

@jnoun11 Thank you so much for your helpful assessment.