Is this palm wood? Found in western Colorado

DJandLIMON111

Found this here in western Colorado I have done some looking online closest thing i can find is fossil/petrified palm wood it would be from the Niobrara Formation, Smoky Hill Member and is Upper/Late Cretaceous.

What do you guys think? Did a quick polish too quick as you can see all the scratches haha

Thanks anyone that can help

large.DSCN2504.jpg.85bcb4a459a57eda7db80a9d291d0468.jpglarge.DSCN2503.jpg.3c71940037355d43da76e0fa966b894a.jpglarge.DSCN2502.jpg.cfa7ab5a5a7459a83f586e62f8851847.jpglarge.DSCN2501.jpg.65e9c789a5cfc14931b79cc5221c6455.jpglarge.DSCN2498.jpg.c31257a036aa5aeff547e0bfb9bac0c3.jpg

I have not seen petrified fern till now that i looked it up looks just like it! I guess I got lucky i have gone to the area i go for tree for 4 years now and this is the only piece i have of it. Thanks for the help guys :D

Without at least a hand lens it is always difficult to judge, but I would say this is a piece of palmwood with part of the root mantle preserved. You might want to look for locality-specific literature.

• I found this Informative 1

Searching for green in the dark grey.

9 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

I would say this is a piece of palmwood with part of the root mantle preserved.

Concentric circles vs C shapes ?

1 hour ago, Rockwood said:

Concentric circles vs C shapes ?

As I said, difficult without a hand lens, but I'd argue mainly concentric structures, which are in places contorted by compression. I'm not saying it definitely is palm, merely that it not definitely isn't. Considering the fern option, I wouldn't know how to interpret the structures on the second photograph. What would these be? The central stele/vascular cylinder? I'd like to see literature describing such materials from the locality where this piece was found. Perhaps this offers some grounds for comparisons.

image.jpg

Searching for green in the dark grey.

1 hour ago, paleoflor said:

Considering the fern option, I wouldn't know how to interpret the structures on the second photograph.

I see what you mean. I had thought them to be roots which filled a cavity left by withering stems, or the external sheath, but the scale and orientation could be a problem.