Sauropods in Canada?

dinosaur man

Hi I’m wondering are there any Sauropods found in Canada (Alberta)? Wouldn’t it be possible to have Sauropods in Canada? Is there anything found? Thank you!!

4CF84857-8CFB-45FF-955C-B78C69879ED6.jpeg

Thank you @Troodon!! I have one more question after reading this. Have Sauropods been found in Canada from the late Cretaceous? Since Alberta’s Formations are also the same time as Alamosaurus lived in the United States?

I refer you to the first paragraph of the paper in my initial post...not aware of any changes

Until recently, the skeletal and ichnological record of sauropod dinosaurs in North

America has been limited to areas south of the Canada-U.S. border.

Palaeogeographic barriers and palaeoenvironmental preferences have previously

been cited to explain the absence of sauropods in Canada. However, recent

discoveries of footprints and a trackway from southeastern British Columbia

represent the first record of sauropods in Canada, and the northern-most record of

sauropods in North America.

• I found this Informative 2

While there are no derived sauropod remains known from Canada, the McCoy Brook fm. in Nova Scotia's Bay of Fundy has provided some early Jurassic sauropodomorph body fossils. These have been long been referred to as Ammosaurus, but have been given the informal name Fendusaurus. 

• I found this Informative 2

4 minutes ago, PaleoNoel said:

While there are no derived sauropod remains known from Canada, the McCoy Brook fm. in Nova Scotia's Bay of Fundy has provided some early Jurassic sauropodomorph body fossils. These have been long been referred to as Ammosaurus, but have been given the informal name Fendusaurus. 

@PaleoNoel Thank you!!, yeah, just this summer I went there and checked everything out, amazing place!!

Apart from the Sauropodomorph material from Nova Scotia that PaleoNoel mentioned, the only evidence of Canadian sauropods comes from tracks found in British Columbia. The first occurrence was from coal mines within the Mist Mountain Formation of southeastern British Columbia, near Sparwood (trackways referred to Brontopodus isp.), and i have measured one of the original trackway molds that was taken from the mine. The age of these tracks is either latest Jurassic or more likely earliest Cretaceous. Additional sauropod tracks were also recently found from the Aptian-aged Gething Formation of the "Six Peaks" track site in northeast British Columbia (these are now the northernmost record of sauropods in North America, the paper Troodon linked is out of date). No bones have been reported thus far, and I am not aware of any sauropod material (either tracks or bones) coming from Alberta. 

• I found this Informative 3

"In Africa, one can't help becoming caught up in the spine-chilling excitement of the hunt. Perhaps, it has something to do with a memory of a time gone by, when we were the prey, and our nights were filled with darkness..."

-Eternal Enemies: Lions And Hyenas

6 hours ago, Paleoworld-101 said:

Apart from the Sauropodomorph material from Nova Scotia that PaleoNoel mentioned, the only evidence of Canadian sauropods comes from tracks found in British Columbia. The first occurrence was from coal mines within the Mist Mountain Formation of southeastern British Columbia, near Sparwood (trackways referred to Brontopodus isp.), and i have measured one of the original trackway molds that was taken from the mine. The age of these tracks is either latest Jurassic or more likely earliest Cretaceous. Additional sauropod tracks were also recently found from the Aptian-aged Gething Formation of the "Six Peaks" track site in northeast British Columbia (these are now the northernmost record of sauropods in North America, the paper Troodon linked is out of date). No bones have been reported thus far, and I am not aware of any sauropod material (either tracks or bones) coming from Alberta. 

Thank you!!