Early Ordovician fossils

b. bartron

These are pretty rough fossils. I haven't found a decent specimen yet, but ive ran into a few of them the last few months. Most likely gasconade formation  (earliest bed of Missouri Ordovician ) cephalopods are a guess but I'd like your opinion. Are they known in 480 million year old tropical seabeds? Im not familiar with the details. Give me the run down on these fellas.

received_741195089737344.jpeg

received_490440151846066.jpeg

received_195256264918467.jpeg

received_206375900514984.jpeg

received_536000443676905.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Interesting. 

At least some of them look lime they could be Oneotoceras. 

• I found this Informative 3

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

1 hour ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Interesting. 

At least some of them look lime they could be Oneotoceras. 

Time period fits. I had no luck finding comparable specimens. But I'll research more tomorrow. Thanks for the tip.

• I found this Informative 1

Lower Ordovician fossils are hard to come by for me so I'd be hanging on to those. Nice finds!

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

7 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Lower Ordovician fossils are hard to come by for me so I'd be hanging on to those. Nice finds!

I've  managed to collect a fair amount of fossils from the early Ordovician and even a few from the late Cambrian.  I hope to venture off more into the Cambrian when spring hits. The great thing about Missouri is it contains all the fossil beds except 3. Hopefully by summer I'll have ventured off into all of them.