Leanchoilia sp.

YXWYX

Here presents two Leanchoilia sp. from Morocco: 

Left one is dorsal view and the second one is later view. It shares almost the same features as the common type. 

Leanchoilia sp. (2).jpg

Leanchoilia sp..jpg

Edited by YXWYX
  • I found this Informative 10

Very cool!  :) 

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Those are some very nice specimens!!!  Especially the second photo.  Thanks for sharing.  Any more to post????

11 hours ago, Ruger9a said:

Those are some very nice specimens!!!  Especially the second photo.  Thanks for sharing.  Any more to post????

will do !! 

6 hours ago, connorp said:

Very nice, but isn't Leanchoilia restricted to the Cambrian :headscratch:

it was, until we found leanchoilia from Ordovician rocks. The same applies to Anomalocaris too :)  

Here is a typical Cambrian leanchoilia I have: 

微信图片_20200218100223.jpg

• I found this Informative 3

7 hours ago, connorp said:

Very nice, but isn't Leanchoilia restricted to the Cambrian :headscratch:

Quite a lot of taxa that were thought to be strictly Cambrian have been found in the Lower Ordovician Fezouata lagerstatten.

Leanchoilia is just one of them. 

I Haven't heard of Anomalocaris being found here (yet), though i wouldn't be surprised, but we do have another anomalocaridid Aegirocassis.   

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

44 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Quite a lot of taxa that were thought to be strictly Cambrian have been found in the Lower Ordovician Fezouata lagerstatten.

I Haven't heard of Anomalocaris being found here (yet), though i wouldn't be surprised, but we do have another anomalocaridid Aegirocassis.   

I knew about Burgess Shale-like taxa being present in Fezouata. I guess my question was more are the “Leanchoilia” found there assigned to Leanchoilia or a different genus?

They are named as Leancholia or as a leanchoillid, or as Leancholia-like but how officially I am unaware. 

I doubt that a new species has been described yet, but the genus may be accepted or not, though it is used even if informally. 

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

28 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

They are named as Leancholia or as a leanchoillid, or as Leancholia-like but how officially I am unaware. 

I doubt that a new species has been described yet, but the genus may be accepted or not, though it is used even if informally. 

haven't described yet, and that leanchoilia like creature is not from Fezouata, it is from the other site. Can't remember exactly the name. 

• I found this Informative 2

2 hours ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Yes, the only certain anomalocaridid is the Aegirocassis benmoulai. However they are so many different forms of 'claws' discovered from Fezouata :) 

• I found this Informative 3