dinosaur man

Hi I have a question, I went back since I had some time and re measured my Tyrannosaur tooth denticles. But there both the same size, the Mesial and Distal are both 6. And the DSDI is 1, what would this mean? Thank you!! @Omnomosaurus, @Troodon 

Hi @dinosaur man. It's nice to see you're still working away at the topic!

You first need to be identifying the position of your tyrannosaur teeth (and checking they're from the relevant formations); mesial and lateral teeth are the only ones so far described as being useful for diagnostics in this case.

If they are the correct positional teeth and the DSDI is 1, then they are indeterminable using this method of id, I'm afraid. 

Only lateral teeth with a DSDI of <0.8 can be confidently labelled as Gorgosaurus, while mesial teeth with a DSDI of >1.2 can be considered Daspletosaurus, as far as the method seem to be.

• I found this Informative 4

3 minutes ago, Omnomosaurus said:

Hi @dinosaur man. It's nice to see you're still working away at the topic!

You first need to be identifying the position of your tyrannosaur teeth (and checking they're from the relevant formations); mesial and lateral teeth are the only ones so far described as being useful for diagnostics in this case.

If they are the correct positional teeth and the DSDI is 1, then they are indeterminable using this method of id, I'm afraid. 

Only lateral teeth with a DSDI of <0.8 can be confidently labelled as Gorgosaurus, while mesial teeth with a DSDI of >1.2 can be considered Daspletosaurus, as far as the method seem to be.

@Omnomosaurus Thank you!!, and it’s a lateral tooth.

27 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

@Omnomosaurus Thank you!!, and it’s a lateral tooth.

No worries! So for any indeterminate lateral teeth, DSDI needs to be <0.8 to comfortably fall into a Gorgosaurus identification; anything above 0.8 is still indeterminate.

• I found this Informative 1