Ricky

Not looking like a vertebra, from these pictures. 

No bone texture that I can make out.  :unsure: 

• I found this Informative 1

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

• Fossildude19 changed the title to Vertabra?

It's actually a rock that used to be a bone lol but sorry these pics don't let you see the 2 specimen as they are I gotta go back to the museum for identification when the Paleo is in they gonna call me and I'll let you know what they say but they are vertabra out of something

15 hours ago, Ricky said:

It's actually a rock that used to be a bone lol but sorry these pics don't let you see the 2 specimen as they are I gotta go back to the museum for identification when the Paleo is in they gonna call me and I'll let you know what they say but they are vertabra out of something

You’ve got more access to it than we do, so you can of course be right, but it doesn’t look bone to me

These look like pieces of chert that remain after dissolution of the surrounding limestone. The soil resulting from the limestone weathering is usually brown or reddish. The chert being silica doesn't dissolve like the surrounding limestone. It looks like there may be some bits of palaeozoic shells on the left side of that last pic. I wouldn't have any faith in someone that tells you these are verts. Are you going to the museum in Martinsville?

The last piece you can clearly see the impression of some kind of backbone neckbone the pictures make em look more like rocks than they do in person and I've took them to the museum of the middle Appalachian

They passed the tongue test for bone but I will let y'all know what the local expert says when I catch em downtown and Google Saltville Virginia and check out everything and everyone that has came here and collected fossils Thomas Jefferson came here to study "monster bones" that was wooly mammoth or mastodon bones there are fossils in collections all over the world from here

Once again fooled by concretions it surprises me the shapes and forms they make I got a lot of concretions here I got hematite concretions chert concretions and sandstone concretions all over where I live