paulyb135

Hello Everyone,

I have had this beautiful Argentine theropod tooth for 18 months now and the previous owner 25-30 years before the ban was introduced.

The locality information is a bit flakey, however I thought it would be worth a try to get some kind of ID if possible if there are any Argentine friends out there with some information to hand. 

I have taken some measurements as follows:

Distal - 12 per 5mm

Mesial - 12 per 5mm

MCL - 18mm

MCW - 10mm

crown height - 39mm 

If any further measurements are needed let me know :dinothumb:

Thanks!

1926C976-AF1C-4BF6-A522-2AC11ADDE74E.jpeg

BB2A1B14-2A87-4305-BF73-FBA75487B440.jpeg

9C0A58C9-EE26-45DB-B399-2701794DC238.jpeg

353AB564-9EFD-43B4-A591-85AEF684CFE1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Without a specific locality and formation its pretty difficult to pinpoint age, therefore genus.  Argentina has a pretty diverse theropod group covering a broad timeframe in the late Cretaceous.  The best you can hope for is an ID to a family level. 

You can definitely rule out any Abelisauridae type dinosaurs from Argentina like Carnotsaurus, Aucasaurus or Quilmesaurus. 

Can you take photos of the anterior edge need to see the entire carina.  Also a closeup of the distal carina near the top and middle of both sides.  Finally a photo of the base.   Trying to determine if its a Carcharodontosauridae.  Looking for characteristics like wrinkles  .

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Without a specific locality and formation its pretty difficult to pinpoint age, therefore genus.  Argentina has a pretty diverse theropod group covering a broad timeframe in the late Cretaceous.  The best you can hope for is an ID to a family level. 

You can definitely rule out any Abelisauridae type dinosaurs from Argentina like Carnotsaurus, Aucasaurus or Quilmesaurus. 

Can you take photos of the anterior edge need to see the entire carina.  Also a closeup of the distal carina near the top and middle of both sides.  Finally a photo of the base.   Trying to determine if its a Carcharodontosauridae.  Looking for characteristics like wrinkles or .

Sure. Just took these now, hopefully these are okay. If not will try get some sharper ones 

E340587D-4532-4A20-A05C-7A559488D571.jpeg

F7A62A21-DA7A-4E2E-BED5-5D07725EA107.jpeg

• I found this Informative 1

To me it looks Carcharodontosauridae, possibly Giganotosaurus or Mapusaurus. None the less an amazing tooth from a rare location!! :envy:

1 minute ago, dinosaur man said:

To me it looks Carcharodontosauridae, possibly Giganotosaurus or Mapusaurus. None the less an amazing tooth from a rare location!! :envy:

Cool thanks! Either would be amazing

Hey Paul,

I would just give it up :) I know you desperately want to know what this tooth is but I think you'll just have to accept the fact that you will probably just never know. Maybe some day in the future if new discoveries are made it may be able to be identified. I think you may have to accept the fact that that may never happen and you'll never know. I would just be happy that you have a beautiful tooth from a very rare location like I did for over 20 years.

2 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Hey Paul,

I would just give it up :) I know you desperately want to know what this tooth is but I think you'll just have to accept the fact that you will probably just never know. Maybe some day in the future if new discoveries are made it may be able to be identified. I think you may have to accept the fact that that may never happen and you'll never know. I would just be happy that you have a beautiful tooth from a very rare location like I did for over 20 years.

Hi Randy, 

You May be right, although would be cool to narrow it down to a genus if possible. If it can’t be done then I’ll still count my lucky stars that I’m the proud owner of this tooth

20 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

How can you identify it to a genus you don't even know the age of the tooth.  Curious, what characteristic to you says Carcharodontosaurid?

18 minutes ago, Dracorex_hogwartsia said:

Hey Paul,

Oh so true..

26 minutes ago, Troodon said:

How can you identify it to a genus you don't even know the age of the tooth.  Curious, what characteristic to you says Carcharodontosaurid?

I’ve compared it to Carcharodontosaurus teeth from North Africa they look very similar. And I looked at Carcharodontosauridae teeth identification. And found out that the Mesial serrations are bigger than the Distal in this case that wouldn’t work. But it seems to have it’s Mesial serrated carina reach its cervix which indicates Carcharodontosauridae. But I’m no expert.

19 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

I’ll take better images under a microscope with better lighting over the coming days

Thanks

22 minutes ago, dinosaur man said:

I’ve compared it to Carcharodontosaurus teeth from North Africa they look very similar. And I looked at Carcharodontosauridae teeth identification. And found out that the Mesial serrations are bigger than the Distal in this case that wouldn’t work. But it seems to have it’s Mesial serrated carina reach its cervix which indicates Carcharodontosauridae. But I’m no expert.

Yes that's good but no need to jump to quick conclusions.   Get all the info first.  Look for Carch diagnostic features like enamel wrinkles and interdental sulci.   Look at other possible families of theropod that it could fit if those features are not there.

17 minutes ago, Troodon said:

Thanks

Yes that's good but no need to jump to quick conclusions.   Get all the info first.  Look for Carch diagnostic features like enamel wrinkles and interdental sulci.   Look at other possible families of theropod that it could fit if those features are not there.

Got it, Thank you @Troodon!!

Hi Paul, neat tooth.  The serration images will really help because the shape alone can help narrow down to a particular family.  Unfortunately, data seems to be lacking from the area and a common issue is that teeth from Argentina are very vague on where they are from.  

I think the best thing you can do, is rule out what it can't be rather than what it can be.

22 hours ago, Troodon said:

Thanks

Do these help?

238C6EAF-64E6-47B9-A58B-FE8E47AEC520.jpeg

D4157B94-473B-49E2-AE1E-A4D3E7E5061D.jpeg

65CA03CD-F8A1-4179-8E8A-61E642BB2157.jpeg

Its more of the same, not the closeups I was hoping for.  Really need to see the denticles on either side of the distal carina.

I’m having difficulties with my magnifying glass and light. It may be best to leave it as an unknown Argentine theropod tooth as some have suggested and just count myself lucky that I own it.

36 minutes ago, paulyb135 said:

I’m having difficulties with my magnifying glass and light. It may be best to leave it as an unknown Argentine theropod tooth as some have suggested and just count myself lucky that I own it.

It is an absolutely beautiful tooth!! 

If you're using a mobile device to take photos, I'd recommend one of the many free "magnifying glass" apps available to download. Most aren't super amazing, but I've found them very useful for taking close up shots on those occasions when the physical magnifier & light combo isn't playing ball.

8 hours ago, Omnomosaurus said:

It is an absolutely beautiful tooth!! 

If you're using a mobile device to take photos, I'd recommend one of the many free "magnifying glass" apps available to download. Most aren't super amazing, but I've found them very useful for taking close up shots on those occasions when the physical magnifier & light combo isn't playing ball.

Okay thanks! Didn’t know there was a magnifying glass app haha but I’ll take a look at that. Cheers :D

5 hours ago, paulyb135 said:

Okay thanks! Didn’t know there was a magnifying glass app haha but I’ll take a look at that. Cheers :D

No probs! Haha I only managed to stumble across them by accident on the app store; there are loads of options on there though (some with ads, some without). :thumbsu:

The one listed as "Magnifier & Microscope [Cozy]" worked best on my phone, especially when I used a magnifying glass/loupe at the same time (the app turns on your flashlight with the magnifier, so you don't need a light source).