Walnut ID verification request

Ruger9a

Hello gang.  I have a fossil walnut described as:  Cynorrea junglans, Pliocene, from Cuyck, Holland.  Can someone please tell me it I have it identified correctly?  Thanks in advance.

DSCN9381.JPG

DSCN9384.JPG

DSCN9385.JPG

DSCN9382.JPG

The epithet Cynorrea junglans is unknown to me... You might want to look up Juglans bergomensis and Juglans cinerea for comparison. Most of the miocene-pliocene walnuts from the Netherlands are classified under those names. See for more info (sorry, in Dutch only): https://www.geologievannederland.nl/fossielen/planten/grauwe-walnoot 

P.S. The locality is Cuijk, The Netherlands.

• I found this Informative 2

Searching for green in the dark grey.

Close resemblance to Prunus kunmingensis. Nothing for Cynorrea junglans pops up. Is the spelling correct? Juglans cinerea is the closest that comes up.

• I found this Informative 2

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

11 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Close resemblance to Prunus kunmingensis. Nothing for Cynorrea junglans pops up. Is the spelling correct? Juglans cinerea is the closest that comes up.

It would be interesting to look at the nut meat inside. Is it almond like as in Prunus or convoluded as in a walnut, Junglans?

@paleoflor  Do Pliocene Prunus fossils occur in the Netherlands?

• I found this Informative 1

My goal is to leave no stone or fossil unturned.   

See my Arizona Paleontology Guide    link  The best single resource for Arizona paleontology anywhere.       

39 minutes ago, paleoflor said:

The epithet Cynorrea junglans is unknown to me... You might want to look up Juglans bergomensis and Juglans cinerea for comparison. Most of the miocene-pliocene walnuts from the Netherlands are classified under those names. See for more info (sorry, in Dutch only): https://www.geologievannederland.nl/fossielen/planten/grauwe-walnoot 

P.S. The locality is Cuijk, The Netherlands.

Thank you paleoflor!!!  The ID tag is over 30 years old and I wanted to make sure it was correct.  Good thing I checked.  The photos in the article you posed were an exact match.  But as you stated it's in Dutch so I couldn't read it.  I am currently researching it through other means and will let you know if I find anything different.  Again thank you for your time.

9 minutes ago, Mark Kmiecik said:

Mark, thank you for your response.  It was in a collection for over 30 years before I purchased it 12 years ago.  So, all the information I had was on the ID tag that came with it.  I wanted to make sure it was correct and I'm happy I asked for ID help.  I am currently researching it now based upon the concerns mentioned above.  Especially Juglans bergomensis because of the specific location identified on the card.  I will check out the others as well.  Thanks again.

261165131901-1  (2).JPG

3 minutes ago, Ruger9a said:

Mark, thank you for your response.  It was in a collection for over 30 years before I purchased it 12 years ago.  So, all the information I had was on the ID tag that came with it.  I wanted to make sure it was correct and I'm happy I asked for ID help.  I am currently researching it now based upon the concerns mentioned above.  Especially Juglans bergomensis because of the specific location identified on the card.  I will check out the others as well.  Thanks again.

It's a beautiful specimen, regardless. 

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

22 minutes ago, DPS Ammonite said:

It would be interesting to look at the nut meat inside. Is it almond like as in Prunus or convoluded as in a walnut, Junglans?

DPS Ammonite thanks for your response.   It "looks" like a black walnut to me, not like an almond.  It's 50mm long and 36mm wide.  I have no idea of how to check the meat without destroying the fossil.  Any suggestions?

@Ruger9a, it seems like you've been trying to "go nuts" all day. :D I'm happy to see that you've made it!  :SlapHands:

That's a really nice, well-preserved specimen.  Congratulations!  :yay-smiley-1:

Also, I sure wouldn't diminish the equally well-preserved Cidarid spine.  I'd treasure that as well.

LOL  Yes it's a very nice specimen which is why I needed a correct identification so I can display it.  The spine looks great in it's new display right next to it's (much) thinner relatives. 

• I found this Informative 1