Wow! 

You really are building up quite some collection! :)

• I found this Informative 1

Life's Good!

Tortoise Friend.

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png.a47e14d65deb3f8b242019b3a81d8160-1.png.60b8b8c07f6fa194511f8b7cfb7cc190.png

We added a really nice Peruvian upper Hexanchus tooth to the Cow Shark display. I think we’ll have a UK Seven Gill from the Eocene too. 

The blank space is reserved for a Heptranchias tooth. It may take a long time but I will find one eventually. 

4F20C57B-9FE6-4195-B15F-785F1E40A653.jpeg

• I found this Informative 5

Lamniformes !!! 

One of my favorite displays is the White Shark display. A few blank spaces but those are reserved for teeth we’ve made trades for or teeth being donated but have yet to arrive. Those are impressive teeth which will really round this out. 

8D568316-C284-4ADB-95CC-AE5CCEBC36F9.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

Lamniformes continued

This display will look really sharp when done. We have a Big-eye Thresher, some Megamouth and a 2” desori that will be added. 

8FA3ABC9-DEC5-46D3-8A53-91A651907EA3.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

And more Lamniformes 

A fun display to do. I like this one. Pretty cool teeth. 

E9A13E22-4659-4882-B472-4C3FE1C34970.jpeg

Ctenacanthiformes 

a personal favorite but not yet complete

5676A54A-0192-47DB-99F9-6B8D90D9A099.jpeg

16 minutes ago, Tidgy's Dad said:

Wow! 

You really are building up quite some collection! :)

Thank you :) It is getting there. This has been a good project during the lockdown 

• 1 month later...

The Mega-tooth Sharks. Cretalamna-Meg is represented and there are some nice teeth in this display. I think the kids will dig this display. 

The Rics are my personal favorite. Our largest Megs are not in the display. The Rics are 2.25”, 2.95”, 3.17”. The Angys go 2.84” and 2.55”. The Megs are 2.9”, 4”, 5.07”. 

76D03702-486C-448A-ADC8-62DD81EB1B4B.jpeg

• I found this Informative 7

I have missed some good stuff in this thread! The taxonomical approach seems to be working out nicely. 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

22 hours ago, FossilNerd said:

I have missed some good stuff in this thread! The taxonomical approach seems to be working out nicely. 

It has worked out very nicely and grew way bigger than expected lol Lot of work and a lot of help from TFF members 

Okay. Busy day. We got our new displays and we went bigger to accommodate the influx of teeth. We were going to have a lot of displays and these larger displays cut down on that. For example, our ground shark display will fit one large case instead of two. 

We have a few more teeth in transit so this will change a bit but this is the basic idea. My absolute favorites are the Catsharks, especially the Jurassic Palaeoscyllium. I think we give the kids are pretty good overview of this order. New labels will get done when this is 100% finished. 

65846DE6-67B4-4922-981C-0277D41E1CC1.jpeg

Updated Hexanchiformes display. A personal favorite not just because of the cool teeth. This is a collaborative display that has had a bunch of help from TFF members. @siteseer , @Troodon , @will stevenson, @JBMugu 

The diversity of locations is really cool. I will eventually track down a Jurassic tooth and a Heptranchias to complete this one but for now I am just going to enjoy a pretty awesome display. 

07D10970-143B-4544-B683-94E0E9A6DE5E.jpeg

• I found this Informative 6

The Squaliformes teeth moved into a larger display. We have a couple more Squalus teeth on the way so that will fill out a little bit. I want to add one more genus to the display but it may take awhile to accomplish that goal. 

Pretty happy with this one. Not a bad representation of the order. 

C78EFE87-7A2D-472F-937D-C122F9D676FC.jpeg

We were mistakenly sent larger displays than I had ordered but they are working out. I decided to take the Mako teeth, White Shark teeth, our Porbeagle tooth and put them together in a display. I liked it. 

I am going to leave this as is for the moment because it looks pretty nice. There are some killer teeth in this display. 

2D09712C-DCB4-4955-8805-67BBF0F2CABD.jpeg

• I found this Informative 2

Hi Kurt,

The displays look great.  You don't really need a Heptranchias tooth.  It would be expensive.  You have at least one Notidanodon and a Cretaceous Hexanchus to represent early members of the group.  You have early Cenozoic and more recent teeth.  In truth it's all nice enough as it is.  You're at a point where if you can find something to plug into the display that's cheap, or something you can trade for, that's great, but you're already showing the main genera, some jaw positions, as well as specimens from different parts of the world.

I would say you already have a nice squaliform display as well.  Those are weird sharks.  You have a Greenland shark, a cookiecutter, a bramble, and a dogfish.  There's a presentation right there. 

Nice work.

Jess

On 5/22/2020 at 6:26 PM, Troodon said:

Looks nice :dinothumb:

Thank you Frank. They are coming together nicely. The Dinos too. 

On 5/22/2020 at 8:48 PM, dinosaur man said:

Amazing!

Thank you

22 hours ago, siteseer said:

Hi Kurt,

The displays look great.  You don't really need a Heptranchias tooth.  It would be expensive.  You have at least one Notidanodon and a Cretaceous Hexanchus to represent early members of the group.  You have early Cenozoic and more recent teeth.  In truth it's all nice enough as it is.  You're at a point where if you can find something to plug into the display that's cheap, or something you can trade for, that's great, but you're already showing the main genera, some jaw positions, as well as specimens from different parts of the world.

I would say you already have a nice squaliform display as well.  Those are weird sharks.  You have a Greenland shark, a cookiecutter, a bramble, and a dogfish.  There's a presentation right there. 

Nice work.

Jess

Hi Jess

Thank you. I am really pleasantly surprised by the Squaliformes display. We did well I think. I can also quite honestly say the desire to add more comes from the collector part of me not the educator part lol 

I blame Frank for my growing Cow Shark love lol He really sparked it. I do want to move the temporal range back with a Jurassic tooth. That will be a goal going forward but I am really happy with where we are at. I can’t wait to actually use these displays lol

We did put in a lot of work but it has been so much fun. Plus it was a great way to interact with different members of the forum and get so much help. 

:) 

Kurt

I want to thank our friends  @Tay Francis and @siteseer for their help in this display. 

Pristiophoriformes, the Sawsharks. It’s a small collection with just the three from Chile and three from California but pretty awesome. Tay gave us our first one and Jess gave us some awesome California examples. Not yet labeled at all but I am really looking forward to talking about Sawsharks in the future. Really remarkable creatures. 

4044496A-AFDE-48BB-A8C7-0911A16592BD.jpeg

Up next we have a display or two that the kids are going LOVE because the kids love the strange sharks and shark-like fish. Welcome to the world of Eugeneodontida and Symmoriida, some of the most bizarre creatures ever. We may separate these into two displays at some point, especially if the occasion to add another Eugenodontid arises. The kids have really gone nuts when we have discussed these wild looking Paleozoic critters.

The Edestus and the Stethacantids get huge responses from people when you combine the fossils with life reconstructions because there just is nothing alive today like them. I also have to be careful not to spend too much time on them during a presentation and it is very easy to get carried away when discussing the array of bizarre adaptations they had. 

Eugeneodontida is limited to just Edestus and Caseodus. We cover Symmoriida with Akmonistion, Stethacanthus and an undescribed tooth, labeled Denaea in the display. Not as large a picture as I would like to paint but another I am really happy to be able to show people !

The second picture is the other Holocephalian display which is not really done yet. Still some adjustments to be made.

7 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Hi Jess

Thank you. I am really pleasantly surprised by the Squaliformes display. We did well I think. I can also quite honestly say the desire to add more comes from the collector part of me not the educator part lol 

I blame Frank for my growing Cow Shark love lol He really sparked it. I do want to move the temporal range back with a Jurassic tooth. That will be a goal going forward but I am really happy with where we are at. I can’t wait to actually use these displays lol

We did put in a lot of work but it has been so much fun. Plus it was a great way to interact with different members of the forum and get so much help. 

:) 

Kurt

Yeah, cow sharks are interesting.  There are collectors who like to try to put together a dentition from a given deposit.  The sizing hardly ever works out right but seeing different jaw positions is part of the learning whatever the shark.

I like oddball squaliforms too.  

Finding someone willing to part with even a piece of a Jurassic hexanchid is tough.  I think I have a two-cone fragment and something else somewhat decent.  They tend to come out of Europe. 

Jess