On 5/25/2020 at 10:08 PM, siteseer said:

Yeah, cow sharks are interesting.  There are collectors who like to try to put together a dentition from a given deposit.  The sizing hardly ever works out right but seeing different jaw positions is part of the learning whatever the shark.

I like oddball squaliforms too.  

Finding someone willing to part with even a piece of a Jurassic hexanchid is tough.  I think I have a two-cone fragment and something else somewhat decent.  They tend to come out of Europe. 

Jess

If you like cow shark teeth then you will like this one, my first ever center tooth!

IMG_20200525_120158.jpg

• I found this Informative 2

1 hour ago, JBMugu said:

If you like cow shark teeth then you will like this one, my first ever center tooth!

IMG_20200525_120158.jpg

Wow that is an awesome find Jesse. Congrats. That is beautiful 

On 5/25/2020 at 10:08 PM, siteseer said:

Yeah, cow sharks are interesting.  There are collectors who like to try to put together a dentition from a given deposit.  The sizing hardly ever works out right but seeing different jaw positions is part of the learning whatever the shark.

I like oddball squaliforms too.  

Finding someone willing to part with even a piece of a Jurassic hexanchid is tough.  I think I have a two-cone fragment and something else somewhat decent.  They tend to come out of Europe. 

Jess

Hi Jess 

I have seen a Notidanodon dentition from Morocco that looked pretty cool. I doubt I’ll go that far with Cow Sharks lol 

I assume it will be extremely difficult to track down a Jurassic example but the hunt is part of the fun ! 

Why are Cow Shark cusps called cones ? That always throws me. I am actually curious as to why that is. 

Kurt

I didn't see any ptychodus teeth.  Did I not send you any, when I sent you some stuff a while back?   If not, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a few.  

• I found this Informative 1

For one species to mourn the death of another is a new thing under the sun.
-Aldo Leopold

51 minutes ago, Ramo said:

I didn't see any ptychodus teeth.  Did I not send you any, when I sent you some stuff a while back?   If not, send me a PM with your address and I'll send you a few.  

Hi Ramo. I have a display of Ptychodus teeth but I guess I haven’t posted it yet. I had them in a Hybodontiformes display but separated them. 

8 hours ago, JBMugu said:

IMG_20200525_120158.jpg

Jesse,

That's a beautiful symphyseal.  Great color.  Yeah, those are tough to find.

Jess

6 hours ago, fossilsonwheels said:

Hi Jess 

I have seen a Notidanodon dentition from Morocco that looked pretty cool. I doubt I’ll go that far with Cow Sharks lol 

I assume it will be extremely difficult to track down a Jurassic example but the hunt is part of the fun ! 

Why are Cow Shark cusps called cones ? That always throws me. I am actually curious as to why that is. 

Kurt

Hi Kurt,

I think "cone" is an older term, and yeah, it's a term that has been used just for cow sharks.  The largest, mesialmost cone has its own term, the acrocone.  I tend to just say "cusp" and refer to the acrocone as just the "main cusp."  It boils down to no real established set of terms ever being laid out and made official.

Jess

I want to note that I have yet to post everything. There are a lot of displays lol 

Not a taxonomic display but I like this small display. Filter Feeding Sharks !! 

We have Megamouth, Basking and Whale sharks represented. Fingers crossed we find a Lee Creek Rhincodon in our micro searches. I thought this made great sense. @siteseer and @Troodon supplied the Megamouth teeth. 

8A8E59E0-0626-4FDD-BF5F-06155859CD7A.jpeg

• I found this Informative 3

Thresher Sharks

I thought they warranted a separate display and their tail is one of the coolest shark adaptations. 

C7504C0D-63DA-41FD-AD05-9A2319749336.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

I had said I wanted to add another Eugeneodontid tooth and we unexpectedly did just that. I had purchased a Glikmanius tooth and the seller forgot to mail it. He was super cool about it and said he’d throw in some extras. 

Hello Agassizodus !! That’s a heck of a throw in right ? 

So an updated picture of a pretty cool little display of bizarre shark relatives

EDAE637F-28DA-420F-829F-02EC0C77934B.jpeg

The completed Ctenacanthiformes display. We go from Devonian - Permian and have a few different genera. 

Phoebodus, Cladodoides, Thrinacodus, Saivodus, Cladodus, Glikmanius x2, Ctenacanthus x2. 

I think this is a decent representation of this early and important order of shark ! 

84CA1FBF-BE62-40CE-9C5E-C0ED81A853C1.jpeg

• I found this Informative 4

1 hour ago, Praefectus said:

Looks great. Nice work.

Thank you. It was a worthwhile chore lol

On 6/6/2020 at 9:23 AM, connorp said:

Love these! Do you by chance have a photo of your Cladodoides?

I might. I will check. 

• 1 month later...

An updated and enlarged Ctenacanthiformes display. I moved it into a larger display and we were able to add some of the micro teeth we found. I thought more space was a good idea given the age of delicate nature of these fossils. 

Fun Fact the oldest and youngest teeth in the display are micro matrix finds. 

F3B7283D-01FF-4557-9F23-829A18E07727.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

We recently got an Anomotodon tooth from Banks Island so our updated Goblin display. A favorite of mine and the students 

4651AC77-102D-4502-B523-26515E8FD7B0.jpeg

The Angelshark teeth have finally moved to a larger display. We have a couple of new additions that are not here yet but it was time to go to the larger Riker. 

F4D911F9-3CDF-42C9-8A21-02D79D6724D4.jpeg

This one is not finished and it has taken quite awhile to get this far but I LOVE this display. The early shark display features some micro teeth and denticles from sharks that a lot of people have never heard of. They also fall outside of the other orders of sharks we have displays for. 

We have denticles from the Ordovician Harding Sandstone and Devonian Genundewa Limestone. The Devonian denticle is a pretty close match to Antarticlamniformes denticles I found in a few publications.  We’ve got a few Omalodus teeth and two partial Portalodus teeth from the Genundewa Limestone. We also have Protacrodus teeth and Deihim teeth from the Maple Mill of Iowa. 

Work to be done still but this is a pretty cool group of fossils. 

AEA0CF7C-4C9E-482F-A212-62B8D253C49D.jpeg

All these displays are super informative and will provide an excellent method to show everyone the diversity in extinct sharks.   That is if we ever get back to normal...

On 7/24/2020 at 7:27 AM, Troodon said:

All these displays are super informative and will provide an excellent method to show everyone the diversity in extinct sharks.   That is if we ever get back to normal...

Thank you Frank. We had quite a bit of help putting this together.  I am hopeful we can get back to it in 2021

• 2 weeks later...

The White Sharks have their own display. I separated the Mako and Lamna teeth so it’s just Whites now. Not too shabby a display. 

6D89D572-271D-40FC-BBEA-080613732AB8.jpeg

Mako and Lamna teeth including Isurolamna teeth I forgot we had. 

B8A25F83-037B-4F34-BB94-4A0FA8A3D995.jpeg

The Filter Feeder display with the Pseudomegachasma teeth :) I like this little display. 

F62C89BD-C178-44D2-814D-F9F7CAA82A0A.jpeg