Cretaceous shoreline wave-formed ripple

Creek - Don

Went out to the creek this Saturday in SW Tarrant county.   Didn't find much other than some small gastropod, echinoid and oyster shell, but did noticed something interesting next to the creek wall. 

There seems to been a shoreline that once existed near here since wave-formed ripple usually forms near the shoreline,  but then later covered by sea again.   Wave patterns seems to be very similar to modern shoreline when waves pushes sands into round piles that are shown on the last two pictures.  

wave5.JPG

wave formation 4.JPG

wave formation 3.JPG

Wave formation 2.JPG

Wave formation.JPG

Wave formation 6.JPG

Cretaceous coast.JPG

wave formation 5.JPG

• I found this Informative 10

In addition to the items you noted, you also found what appears to be a pretty darn good swimming hole come Summertime!

Jerry, that would been great if it ever rains in the summer.   These creeks usually dries out in the summer and becomes nothing more than a stagnant pond.    We had quiet a few rain lately so these creeks are full of water. 

Giant ripple marks are cool. Definitely a good indicator of a sand or mud flat.

• I found this Informative 2

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

3 hours ago, Shamalama said:

Giant ripple marks are cool. Definitely a good indicator of a sand or mud flat.

I wonder whether this was the same shoreline that dinosaur tracks were found nearby Glen Rose State Park? Formation looks very close to 113 mya.

• I found this Informative 1

I did some personal calculations based on the maps I found online.   

This is just my guess.  I'm not sure whether this is even accurate. 

Texas Texas Cretaceous shorline 113 mya.jpg

• I found this Informative 1

On 2/18/2020 at 9:58 AM, Creek - Don said:

I wonder whether this was the same shoreline that dinosaur tracks were found nearby Glen Rose State Park? Formation looks very close to 113 mya.

14 hours ago, Creek - Don said:

I did some personal calculations based on the maps I found online.   

This is just my guess.  I'm not sure whether this is even accurate. 

Texas Texas Cretaceous shorline 113 mya.jpg

These reconstructions are only approximations. The dinosaur footprints in the Glen Rose Formation through out the Texas Hill Country would be a bit older than the Goodland Formation. They usually represent shallow lagoons or limey mud flats along the ancient shorelines. During all those millions of years the actual shoreline could have shifted many times. 

Also, FYI, ripples can be formed in deeper settings. Currents or storm events that push wave base lower can also produce something similar.

• I found this Informative 6