Pennsylvanian fertile ferns

Rockaholic

I recently had a split of material collected from Pennsylvanian age spoil piles in Indiana that appears to be a fragmented fertile Fern and it sparked my interest on older finds that I have yet to identify.I found a post from Roby that reminded me of a fossil that I found 7 years ago.Is this an example of Crenulopteris Mazoniana?

(fertile fern pinnules) (3) - Copy.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

And since we're on the topic of fertile ferns is this Diplazites Unita?The spori seem more centrally located then other Diplazites Unita examples I've seen.

DSC03141.JPG

• I found this Informative 2

Tim    -  VETERAN SHALE SPLITTER

MOTM.png.61350469b02f439fd4d5d77c2c69da85.png      PaleoPartner.png.30c01982e09b0cc0b7d9d6a7a21f56c6.png.a600039856933851eeea617ca3f2d15f.png     Postmaster1.jpg.900efa599049929531fa81981f028e24.jpg    VFOTM.png.f1b09c78bf88298b009b0da14ef44cf0.png  VFOTM  --- APRIL - 2015  

John Muir ~ ~ ~ ~   ><))))( *>  About Me      

Cool fossils! Does the bumpiness and/or crenulations indicate spore bearing structures, or are they just part of the normal leaf structure?

-Dave

Geologists on the whole are inconsistent drivers. When a roadcut presents itself, they tend to lurch and weave. To them, the roadcut is a portal, a fragment of a regional story, a proscenium arch that leads their imaginations into the earth and through the surrounding terrain. - John McPhee

If I'm going to drive safely, I can't do geology. - John McPhee

Check out my Blog for more fossils I've found: http://viewsofthemahantango.blogspot.com/

I am not familiar enough with fertile specimens to be of any help in their identification. Strangely enough, I have never found one in the years I was actively collecting, so I have been lax in researching the various forms. Jack Wittry @fiddlehead will most probably be the best bet to ID these.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

The bumps are the fertile structures called sori. These are made up from separate sporangia which number generally between 4-6 per sorus. Each sporangium can easily contain a thousand  spores. The sori are radially symmetrical, stalked and hang from the bottom side of the pinnule. If it were possible to see the sori from the side, the sporangia when fully mature hang like ripe bananas. There are several different forms of sori that are based on studies using un-uncompressed fossils found in coal balls. These features are rarely visible in authigenic cementation (concretions) fossils like those found at Mazon Creek. Figured are three separate species of fertile fern pinnae. Based on the relatively large sori the first example it is probably an Oligocarpia. But this is only a best guess and needs to be confirmed by seeing if the sori are placed on the lateral veins. The second is a Crenulopteris mazoniana based on the sori attached at the pinnule margins. Also note the sori appear poorly formed and fuzzy. This is because the sporangia have burst and only the outer walls are left hanging. From the overall pinna and pinnule shape, the third is a Acitheca polymorpha

Hope this is of some help,

Jack

• I found this Informative 12

1 hour ago, fiddlehead said:

Hope this is of some help,

Jack

You da man! Thank you.

Mark.

Fossil hunting is easy -- they don't run away when you shoot at them!

theme-celtique.png.bbc4d5765974b5daba0607d157eecfed.png.7c09081f292875c94595c562a862958c.png

"On ne voit bien que par le coeur, l'essentiel est invisible pour les yeux." (Antoine de Saint-Exupéry)

"We only well see with the heart, the essential is invisible for the eyes."

In memory of Doren

photo-thumb-12286.jpg.878620deab804c0e4e53f3eab4625b4c.jpg