snolly50

That's right, another display stand for a fossil by ME, snolly!

But first, a classic RnB tune by that name. It is a remarkable rendition, exhibiting superior mixing. 

As in previous display stand posts, this one utilizes an exotic wood blank that was originally produced to be utilized as a bowl turning piece. The wood here is Ambrosia Maple. The pattern seen in the piece is created through invasion by a species of Ambrosia Beetle. These creatures utilize their tunnels to grow a fungus, which provides their sole food source. The wood becomes discolored in this process.

https://www.wood-database.com/ambrosia-maple/

Here is the wood blank, sanded and finished with hand-rubbed shellac and then buffed with Briwax.

DSC_0991acz.thumb.jpg.87ba053de4d954ea981f18ab68a69ff6.jpg

DSC_0994acz.thumb.jpg.66b213319b2131d68af59105d47d9c0b.jpg

Metal supports were fabricated by Texas hot sauce aficionado, Kris @Ptychodus04. As usual, Kris proved a great source for prep assistance and display metalwork. Once received the support arms were custom cut to length with a Dremel cut-off wheel and plastic/rubbery caps fitted to the ends. The caps used here are sold to finish the ends of wire shelving.

DSC_0996acz.thumb.jpg.4f26132b8790ee3063586c8701e1cf2d.jpg

Presently, the fossil shown in the stand below is featured in the Forum's ID section. Please comment there with any relevant info. Thanks!

Here is the finished display.

DSC_1015acz.thumb.jpg.bd9f0ca18930dd5539b643114381b0fd.jpg

DSC_1018acz.thumb.jpg.66f8e36d2be9e8e1f83070e966185015.jpg

• I found this Informative 14

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

Looks lovely Snolly, really nice piece of wood too. I would love to see in its natural habitat of snolly’s displays. Kris always does nice work and it does not matter the material he works with . 

cheers Bobby 

• I found this Informative 2

Great work John @snolly50 I appreciate you not mentioning that it took me 3 months or so and a reminder email to get the metalwork completed. :P

If it were my stand, I would probably take 1/4” or so off the front supports. They are too close to the vertebrae IMHO.

I love that wood. It would make nice knife handles!

• I found this Informative 2

8 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

If it were my stand, I would probably take 1/4” or so off the front supports. They are too close to the vertebrae IMHO.

I agree. But nice job none the less.

I'll have to keep those end caps in mind for some of my own do-dads.

• I found this Informative 1

Very nice stand! Good work Snolly and Kris @Ptychodus04. It gives me a few ideas for using some of my more exotic wood that is leftover from my woodworking days. :) 

The good thing about science is that it's true whether or not you believe in it.  -Neil deGrasse Tyson

Everyone you will ever meet knows something you don't. -Bill Nye (The Science Guy)

Love the stand! :wub:

But that youtube link: WOW WOW WOW WOW WOW !!!

I'm reminded of a comment I once saw on a different youtube clip: "I think I'm going to abuse the replay button for a while".

Don

54 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

I would probably take 1/4” or so off the front supports.

Yep, that is indeed my intent, I was just a little too conservative when I eyeballed the initial reduction, trying not to overdo. I wanted to get the account of the stand up on the Forum so i went ahead and photographed. Besides, I love throwing the sparks with the cut off wheel on the metal!

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, also are remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. - Douglas Adams, Last Chance to See

4 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

youtube link

That whole "Playing for Change" series is well worth a listen. 

36 minutes ago, snolly50 said:

Besides, I love throwing the sparks with the cut off wheel on the metal!

Fun stuff! You should see the sparks coming off a high carbon piece of steel when I’m on the grinder working on a knife. :D

@Ptychodus04 @caldigger OK, OK! Just to silence you two doryphores; I have lopped off a chunk of the support arms! :D

DSC_1020acz.thumb.jpg.3c2704e432db4d5a40f05dba61e7b595.jpg

2 hours ago, snolly50 said:

@Ptychodus04 @caldigger OK, OK! Just to silence you two doryphores; I have lopped off a chunk of the support arms! :D

DSC_1020acz.thumb.jpg.3c2704e432db4d5a40f05dba61e7b595.jpg

Nah, I liked it better before. Can you just put it back the length it was?  :heartylaugh:

Looks good now and doesn't distract from the subject like it did.

23 hours ago, snolly50 said:

That whole "Playing for Change" series is well worth a listen. 

I just spent an hour listening to "Playing for Change" videos.  They are incredible! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:  Thanks Snolly!

Don

31 minutes ago, FossilDAWG said:

just spent an hour listening to "Playing for Change" videos.

Wonderful, it's an impressive body of work.

1 hour ago, snolly50 said:

That might be a bit harsh. Accurate but still... :P

@caldigger, let’s start a smear campaign against all the old geezer, cantankerous , saxophone tootin’ reprobates named John on the forum.:heartylaugh:

That being said, it looks much better. Never question my judgement again.

9 minutes ago, Ptychodus04 said:

geezer, cantankerous , saxophone tootin’ reprobate

Apt epithets all. The snollywife could add a few more appellations; too indelicate for this sensitive Forum.

I think it would look better in my display cabinet - LOL.  It's actually a visually stunning display, wonderful job and very creative.   

17 hours ago, snolly50 said:

Just to silence you two doryphores

Just to prove that I have earned this title, I'd like to point out that your last photo is out of focus.

16 hours ago, FossilDAWG said:

I just spent an hour listening to "Playing for Change" videos.  They are incredible! :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub: :wub:  Thanks Snolly!

Don

Yes I really like this version and quite humbling. 

2 hours ago, Ptychodus04 said:

Just to prove that I have earned this title, I'd like to point out that your last photo is out of focus.

Ha! You photographic Philistine; don't you recognize artsy soft focus, a technique employed by all master photographers (such as snolly)?!?!